Valentine’s Day: Love It or Hate It, You Can’t Escape It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching. Which means it’s either time to make reservations at a nice restaurant to share with your beau or it’s time to make a date with the other two men in your life: Ben & Jerry. We all choose to spend this day in different ways, but one thing that’s undeniably universal to both the lovers and the haters is the power of February 14th.

According to Hallmark, 151 million Valentine’s cards will be exchanged this year. February 14th is a day meant to celebrate love, which in theory sounds great! But, shouldn’t we be celebrating love everyday of our lives? And shouldn’t we still have a right to celebrate love on Valentine’s Day if we’re single and still waiting for the “right one”? Valentine’s Day shouldn’t create such a divide. It shouldn’t be loved or hated; it should be celebrated. February 14th will come every year so it’s a good idea to find ways to celebrate without the pressure of living up to such an over-commercialized holiday. So, once you’re ready to put away the Ben & Jerry’s we all love sooo much, you’ll discover that February 14th isn’t that scary! After all it’s just another day.

Tips for both lovers and haters:

1.     Ditch the pessimism and add some optimism to your day! You’ll feel much better in the end. Plus, don’t focus on bringing other people down when you can bring yourself up.

2.     Don’t stress! It doesn’t matter what your plans are, or if you have any at all.

3.     Whether it’s your friends (it’s always a fun idea to do a secret valentine exchange) or your significant other, appreciate the people around you.

4.     Tell at least one person you love them. It doesn’t matter whom as long as you mean it. As a hint, parents don’t hear it as often as they should.

5.     Leave the hate behind and focus on the love. And if not for anyone else, focus on loving yourself!

1

2