Stuff Duke People Like

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

If you’ve ever picked up the book Stuff White People Like or stumbled across the spinoff blog based on GW students, you may have been drawn in by the goofy generalizations about why “white people like sweaters” or GW people like “making Tumblrs.” It’s time Duke had a list of its own, as we all know there are definitely a good number of social phenomena that have swept this campus. This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but here goes:

1. Apple Products– Rarely will you enter a classroom or find a comfy seat in Perkins without spotting a gleaming white Apple logo. In fact, some classrooms can be mistaken for Apple stores amidst the array of MacBooks and iPhones displayed at any given time. It is no understatement to say that Dukies love this luxury line of tech products.

2. Longchamp Bags– I’ll be the first to admit I had no idea what a “Longchamp” bag was until this year. I couldn’t even pronounce it properly the first time I discovered it. Call me passé, but I was oblivious of how this trend swept campus like wildfire over the last few years. Apparently girls love the ability to carry all their school supplies and workout gear in an easily foldable, highly durable purse.

3. Salmon Shorts & Sperrys– And for the boys…a trend I cannot help but notice on campus is one that screams preppy, private institution – the combo of salmon-colored shorts and Sperry top-sliders (option here to substitute Rainbow sandals). I would be surprised if you could go a day at Duke (given the appropriate weather) without finding someone wearing this exact look. The prep style is only to be expected here, however, as it originated largely as an Ivy League fashion.

4. Free T-shirts– Since day one at Duke, we have free t-shirts practically thrown at us. You can’t deny that your dresser drawers are stocked with tees branded with everything from Duke Insert-Class-Year-Here to Duke Insert-Obscure-Student-Organization-Here. I think I even have a free tee somewhere in my closet sponsored by Clairmont apartments just for attending an info session in the Bryan Center. How ‘bout them apples!

5. Intellectual Debate– The sooner we admit it, the better – Duke students love arguing. We love verbal sparring and a good, friendly battle of wits. After all, the majority of us gained acceptance to this school based on some level of outstanding merit. And we like to prove it in public or among friends. Heck, we even like to prove our smarts at frat parties in the form of drunken intellectual debates (or what we deem as intellectual at the time). So don’t be surprised if the next time you play pong, you’ve somehow entered into a challenge of who can spout off the 44 US presidencies the fastest.

6. Tabling– “Would you like to learn more about our cause for…?” You can probably think of organizations to fill in that sentence from the sheer number of countless clubs and charities which try to flag you down as you cross the BC plaza. This is because Duke students – in the same way that we cherish our intelligence and prowess – love a good chance to shamelessly promote our causes. This is not necessarily a bad thing, save for the dozens of scowls you’re sure to get for soliciting innocent passersby.

7. Waiting in Lines– And if there’s anything else we Dukies are surely good at it, it’s waiting in lines – long, looong lines. There are lines wrapped around buildings for food trucks, lines that start in January for basketball games in March, and sometimes even lines to wash your clothing in the laundry room. You can be sure to graduate with two things after your time at Duke – a shiny diploma and a sense of patience (or at the very least, how to wile your time away to get to your turn).

Photo Sources: Computershopper.com (http://computershopper.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/…), Getlongchampoutlet.com (http://www.getlongchampoutlet.com/images/longchamp-le-pliage-small-foldi…), WordPress.com (http://peggyparks.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/waiting-in-line.jpg)

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).