I’m Thankful for Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s been over a month since we’ve had fall break and everyone is feeling it. The Duke/Durham bubble is starting to weigh on us, and final papers and exams are beginning to creep up on us. Two more weeks of actual class? That’s crazy talk! Despite the dread we are all feeling about approaching assignments, Thanksgiving break is upon us in a week’s time. Whether you’re going home or visiting friends and family, you should think of some things to accomplish in that period of time. No, not work…but instead things that will make you happy and leave you feeling refreshed when you come back to take on those tests and papers. Here are some reasons to be thankful for this break.  

I am thankful for sleep

You are no longer in a dorm room. No longer in your apartment. Relax. When you arrive, go straight to your room and collapse. Our sleeping schedules have diminished greatly over the course of the semester, so catch up on those lost hours. Whether its 10, 12, or 15, you will appreciate all that rest in the weeks to come.

I am thankful for food

Avoid the gym at all costs. Thanksgiving dinner is possibly the best holiday food and if you avoid it, you won’t enjoy it. Enough said.

I am thankful for Black Friday

Black Friday! Black Friday! Black Friday! Treat yourself to new additions to your wardrobe. Winter weather is coming, which means extra layers and extra clothes! If you are as sale-crazed as I am, get ahead of those upcoming expenses. Christmas is near, and no one has time to scour the Internet for Mom and Dad’s presents during finals week.  

I am thankful for free time

Think about the things you always wanted to do but didn’t have the time. Not work. But reflect on future plans to come. What are you doing for spring break? What are you doing next summer? We sometimes get so lost in our academic, extra-curricular and social lives that our futures are limited to the following day or weekend. Take this extra time to work out what you want to do in the next few months other than going to classes and parties.  

I am thankful for friends and family

Along with taking the time to treat yourself, make sure to spend some time with those you love who you haven’t seen in a while. Exchange funny stories! Go out for meals! It’s special to have a group of people you can always go home to.

Image Source: 1