Game Day Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

After weeks of anticipation and a somewhat tumultuous season, the UNC game is right around the corner.  If you’ve been sleeping in a tent in K-Ville for the past few weeks or are waiting in the walkup line, you’ll get to see all the action up close.  You’ll be a part of what will become a definitive moment in this year’s basketball season and will witness the fall of the Team Who Shall Not Be Named as our players break out of their rut, and with Coach K by their side, earn a victory.  If you decided that living outdoors or getting woken up in the middle of the night for tent checks was not your thing, you’ll get the opportunity to go to one of the many watch parties that are bound to spring up around campus.  Either way, it’s going to be a big day so here are some tips to help you make the most of it.

1.     Get Hyped – One of the things that make Duke basketball so entertaining is the incredible energy that radiates through each game.  Each person contributes to that energy, whether in Cameron or at Krafthouse, and helps the legacy of the Cameron Crazies live on.  So get excited, be loud, and go all out.

2.     Plan Ahead – If you’re getting into the game, know what times you have to be in K-Ville and prepare accordingly.  Make sure that you eat beforehand or bring food with you or it could start to feel like a really long day.  Also, know that it’s going to be freezing cold outside, but ridiculously warm inside so wear layers.  You can always take off a jacket and put it in your tent before going into the game, but if you’re stuck in K-Ville in a tank top all day, you probably won’t be in the best of moods.

3.     Contribute – Whether you’re going to a watch party or spending the day in K-Ville, don’t be that person that mooches off of everybody else.  Offer to bring snacks, cups, or anything else that people might need so that one person does not get stuck planning the entire day.

4.     Know Your Limits – This one might be the most important. Game Day can be so much fun, but if you get out of control and aren’t let into the game or wind up asleep on the couch the whole time, you won’t be able to experience it.  So have fun and let go because its already been a long year and this is arguably one of the most fun days of the semester, but make sure that when tip off starts, you’re able to see it.