A Freshman’s Guide to Life: Duke’s “Undiscovered” Places

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Freshman year. It’s a year of new beginnings and a year of finally trying to figure your life out. On top of figuring out our lives, we also need to determine where to eat on campus, the best place to study, who throws the best parties, the most interesting professors, the classes to avoid at all costs, what the bus schedule is… the list could go on forever. I’m there right now, and soon enough I’ll have upperclassman status and the Class of 2016 will step in. Freshman year is a year of transition and a time of change. This blog will serve as a testament to the do’s and don’ts and the ins and outs of Duke for freshman girls. A guide to freshman year, if you will.

So, for the freshmen who are at Duke right now- we already know (or at least pretend we do) what goes on at this university. We’ve all been to our fair share of lectures and seminars, frat parties, basketball games, all-nighters at Perkins, and the Marketplace more times than anybody would ever want to. So what’s there to tell? I’ve talked to some upperclassman around campus, done a little research myself. and comprised a short list of some “undiscovered” places and spaces on Duke’s Campus and in the surrounding area. Maybe we don’t know it all, after all.

The Coffeehouse
I feel like there are two main impressions of the Duke Coffeehouse. The first is that it doesn’t actually exist. Nope. It’s real all right even though it’s pretty hard to stumble upon because it is hidden behind Wilson dorm. The second impression is hipster heaven. Bet you didn’t see that one coming. However, that shouldn’t deter you from giving it a try. It not only has good coffee, but it also has comfortable spaces to relax with friends and study. It’s a great venue too. The Coffeehouse holds a ton of events like various musicians and student performances. Before you head to Trinity or Von der Heyden (which are always way too crowded anyway) give the Duke Coffeehouse a try. It’s on East, pretty low-key, has nice people and good coffee.

Elmo’s Diner
You may have heard some of your friends mention a place called “Elmo’s” and it was more than likely followed by something along the lines of “so good.” It’s located on 9th street just a short walk from East Campus. If you ever get tired of going to Marketplace brunch on the weekends (or it’s inconveniently closed for a holiday or break when students are still on campus…) try going to Elmo’s. The breakfast is delicious, the booths are comfy, the diner atmosphere is refreshing, and the service is great. It’s even reasonably priced- what more could you ask for?

Bostock 4th Floor
Many people have yet to venture up to the 4th floor… I mean why would you? There are so many great places to study in Perkins and many of them are conveniently located in a place where you don’t have to use the stairs. However, making the trip up to the 4th floor of Bostock won’t be a mistake. One of my favorite places to study is the Sperling Reading Room. It’s small and doesn’t really have any special desks or extra comfy chairs, but it’s the view that really makes it a great place to spend your study time. The room has tall glass windows and overlooks the Chapel. It’s especially picturesque and peaceful at night when the Chapel is lit up and you are cramming for that test you should have been studying for days ago.

Francesca’s
Located on 9th street, Francesca’s has every dessert you could ever ask for. Just beat the average on your econ test? Got that internship you applied for? Have a friend’s birthday coming up? This is the perfect place to reward yourself or to celebrate with a sweet treat. If you are feeling extra generous they even deliver “goodie packages” to Duke.

Duke Gardens
Of course the Gardens aren’t exactly “undiscovered,” but they also aren’t visited nearly enough! The Gardens are the perfect place to relax, have a picnic, and a great place for a jog. Tired of running in circles around East Campus with nothing but a stone wall for a view? Can’t make yourself spend time in the gym when it’s so pretty outside? Try out the Gardens next time you lace up your running shoes.

The Refectory Café
It’s hard not to find someone who just swears by the Refectory grilled cheese sandwiches. Students frequent the Divinity School Refectory often, but did you know there is another Refectory at a different location? The Duke Law School (a great place to study if you really need to buckle down) also has a Refectory. Like the one at the Divinity School, they use local, organic, and healthy products for meals that are not only nutritious but really, really good. The main difference? More choices. A lot of upperclassmen argue it’s hands-down the best food on campus.

Magpie Boutique
Looking for something different to add to your spring wardrobe? Check out Magpie Boutique in Downtown Durham. They have a great selection of accessories and cute and unique clothes. It’s not too far from Duke so if you’re trying to find a dress for that semi-formal or date function but don’t have a ride to Southpoint or Northgate this is the perfect place.

Mary Lou Williams Center
Free jazz nights on Wednesdays. What more do I need to say? Oh, wait. There’s also free food. That should pretty much seal the deal. The music starts at 9:30pm and the atmosphere is informal and lively. Don’t count out The Mary Lou for a great place to study either.

Photo Sources:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LTV3TDybZhM/TjgqK8GUMCI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/ylnSHBE7Nv…
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/57690823.jpg
http://Morcomrosegarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Duke-Garden.jpg

My name is Sarah Haas and I am a sophomore at Duke University just tryin' to figure it all out! I'm from a small town in North Carolina called Granite Falls, right in the heart of the piedmont of the Appalachian Mountains. I'm passionate about social justice, gender equality, volunteerism, and the pursuit of a good cup of coffee. I love to read and write- with a special interest in poetry- and I'm always updating a blog or social media site- so, I love being a part of Her Campus!
Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.