10 ways to get in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

1.     Listen to Christmas music! Whether it be Mariah Carey’s original All I want for Christmas is You, Justin Bieber’s new hit Mistletoe or even one of my personal favorites, N’Sync’s classic Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, pump up the jams, sing along and get in the spirit!

2.     Send a Christmas warming gift or card. Send a card or fun holiday gift to someone you’ve lost touch with. Reunite with old friends and rekindle a friendship during this happy, friendly time of the year. Send something to your good friends too to let them know that you are thinking about them. It’s the thought that counts, right?!
3.     Participate in or create a Secret Santa gift exchange or grab bag. Everyone loves to get funny whacky doo-dads. It is a great way to get friends together during the holidays for a good, light-hearted time.
4.     Drink peppermint hot chocolate. The sweet taste of hot chocolate on a cold winter’s day never fails to satisfy a chocolate fix while warming you up at the same time. The smell and taste of peppermint simply brings to mind winter and the holidays.
5.     Decorate your living quarters. There is nothing better to get in the spirit than coming home to a Christmas tree, Christmas lights, tinsel and mistletoe.
6.     Do something nice for someone else to make their holiday that much more special. Work at a soup kitchen, bring old clothes to the Salvation Army, write Christmas cards to soldiers overseas, bake Christmas cookies and bring them to a neighbor.
7.     Jot down a few things you are thankful for. The holidays are a time to celebrate friends, family, and all loved ones. Make sure everyone you love knows it and never forgets it.
8.     Bake Christmas cookies or decorate a gingerbread house. These are two great ways to take your mind off things and be a little kid again. Make sure to play Christmas music while you construct your house or sprinkle the cookies!
9.     Do something nice for yourself. It’s Christmas break, exams are over and the holidays are here. Everyone deserves something nice for the holidays. Treat yourself to a mani/pedi or a day at the spa. You deserve it!
10.    Go window-shopping. Walk down the streets of your town and take in all the holiday decorations to help further get in the holiday spirit. Take a deep breath, take in the fresh air and be thankful for what you have.  

Photo Source: http://www.swagbucks.com/p/prize/23877/Mariah-Carey-All-I-Want-for-Chris…

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).