Denver Fashion Weekend: Behind the Scenes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

With an aspiring career in fashion, sophomore Jessica Merheb stumpled upon an online ad in search for volunteers for this year’s Denver Fashion Weekend; “I figured it may help get my foot in the door for the future,” she shared. And just like that, Jessica had the most incredible opportunity to assist (yes, asssist) with Denver’s very own Fashion weekend, and she had us envious with fashion week jealousy as she shared every detail from the inside. “It was unlike anything I have ever experienced before.”

Jessica went behind the scenes and witnessed the latest and greatest upcoming fashion trends through designs by local Colorado designers. She ate the delicious food provided by participating restaurants such as Lower48Milk & Cake, and Mijo (probably the most envy-worthy). And she even had the pleasure of watching hair come to life through the hands of Denver salons. “Needless to say my weekend was pretty incredible – more than you could imagine!”

Breaking down her incredible experience night by night, Jessica is giving us the 411 on her whole experience, and making our dreams come true (okay, maybe only hypothetically) by giving us the VIP tour and all of the dream-worthy details from this year’s Denver Fashion Weekend. 

NIGHT ONE (4/29):”The first night began the four-night festivities with the 303 Magazine and Southwest Hairstyling Awards. This included Denver’s top Spa’s, Restaurants, Salons, Men’s and Women’s boutiques, as well as artists.”

NIGHT TWO (4/30):”Night Two was hosted by FOX31’s ‘Everyday’ show host, Chris Parente…” (if you watch the show you may have seen Jess in the audience of Chris’s catwalk cam) “…and included street-wear and lifestyle brands, essentially the more casual and everyday clothing.” Designers included:

Indy Ink

Geniuz Ink

Shop Zoe Life

Fox

Ducati  

Night Two

NIGHT THREE (5/2):”Night three was hosted by FOX 31’s Meaghan Mooney (her hair was amazing) and consisted of more local and international fashion with high end clothing.” Designers included:

Mona Lucero

Rachel Marie Hurst

Oscar Utierre

Scotch & Soda

Night Three – Rachel Marie Hurst design

Night Three – Rachel Marie Hurst design

Night Three – Oscar Utierre design

NIGHT FOUR (5/3):”Night four was hands down the best of all nights, though it strictly revolved around hair. It was hosted by Susan Manuello and featured DJ Walter White. The show began with an upbeat walk focused on the hairstyles of popular dogs (for example, poodles) re-created by J Audrey.

Each model was dressed appropriately with their hairstyle in order to resemble these dogs. At one point a model walked down [the runway] holding a leash attached to a baby doll. Ironic!” Jessica laughs.  

“Each salon had a different story to tell through their shows. For example, Antoine Du Chez re-created cartoon character through features using make-up and hair (somewhat evil vs. good). Toni & Guy turned the atmosphere into a jungle through the animal-like characteristics of their models and Maroon 5’s “Animals” blasting in the background. Halo Salon didn’t really stray away from their name as their models floated down the runway in all white clothing and baby blue/white blonde hair styles.

The evening ended with the grand finale of Charlie Price & The Beauty Underground Artistic Team and a religious, dark, and edgy show. Many of the hairstyles were wet slicked back looks but all was fitting towards their somewhat creepy theme going on.” The salons included in Night Four were as follows:

J Audrey

Swank

Three Cutters on Pearl

Antoine Du Chez

Toni & Guy

The Look

Starling

G3 Salon

Ted’s Hair Studio

Phoebe Terese

El Salon

Halo

Mode

Charlie Price & The Beauty Underground Artistic Team

Night Four- Antoine Du Chez Salon

Night Four – El Salon Denver

Night Four- The Look Salon

Night Four- Starling Salon

Night Four- The Look Salon

THE VENUE“Denver Fashion Weekend was held at City Hall Amphitheater on Broadway. This venue was truly unique, because it’s typically used as a nightclub. The magical part about this place was that the roof retracted and exposed the night sky, and yes you are hearing me correctly – it’s a building with an open roof! Sadly, with Colorado’s unpredictable weather the roof was closed for three out of four nights of the Fashion Weekend, but when the staff did decide to open it, it was truly magical.” (Wow.)

Jessica left us with some of her famous fashion advice, and even opprotunities that have yet to come for your chance to attend a show just like it. “If you’re looking for a new ‘do’ and probably a new wardrobe to go with it, make sure to check out these designers and salons!” (Click on the name and you will be redirected to the website of said salon/designer). “And if you missed your chance to attend the show, don’t worry because 303 Magazine is already planning their summer show – so, stay tuned!”

Lindsey Miller is a University of Denver sophomore majoring in Strategic Communications and minoring in Professional Writing. She is the campus correspondent of Her Campus DU, which she co-founded in March 2015. Lindsey can see herself taking her career in many directions, but of course hopes she will be writing wherever and whatever that may be.