This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Nowadays, there is a lot of pressure to be in a relationship or even have someone that you are “talking” to. It is easy to want a relationship when all you see are people in them. I, myself, have never been in a relationship. For a long time, I thought I was the only one and that something was off with me. I believed that it was something I was doing. As time went on and I got older, I learned that it wasn’t me and that it is okay to not be in a relationship – more importantly, it is good to be single. There is nothing wrong about being in a relationship in college, but there are so many good things that come with being single that we need to acknowledge. So to all the people not in relationships or have recently gotten out of one, here are some reminders.

1. Freedom

When you’re single, you have full control over your plans. Yes, dates are fun, but who said dates are just for significant others? Grab one of your best girlfriends and go see a movie or try a new restaurant. Use being single as a way to get closer with your best gal pals or have some quality “me” time.

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

2. Flirting

You’re 100% lying to yourself if you say you don’t flirt. Literally everyone flirts and we all love doing it. It’s fun, almost always harmless and usually means nothing… unless you’re in a relationship. Part of the fun of being single comes from being able to flirt with whomever, whenever. Do not take this for granted.

3. No Drama

As much as relationships are amazing, and at the end of the day, we all want to “fall in love and live happily ever after”, they do bring a lot of drama and unwanted stress into your life. You can’t be in a romantic relationship and never get in an argument or go through a rough patch; life just doesn’t work that way. We have all seen our good friends go through rough patches in their relationships or maybe you have gone through one yourself; they are awful! This can be even more stressful as a college student – we are so busy and figuring out what the hell we want to do with our lives and more stress is simply not needed. Be grateful for the peace that comes with being single and not having to deal with stressful relationship baggage.

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

4. Time to focus on yourself

This goes beyond the “me” time I talked about earlier. College and your 20’s are a time in life when you are very unsure of yourself. No one knows what the hell they are doing in life, but in your 20’s, you really don’t. Being single creates an opportune time to learn about yourself. What do you like? What do you not like? More importantly, what do you want and what do you value in life? We have to be single to be able to have healthy relationships later on in life. If we don’t know who we are, how can we be part of someone else? Your “single time” is your time to mature and get to know yourself. Take advantage of this!

Image Courtesy of Pinterest 

5. Enjoy it

This is the most important part of enjoying your single time. So much hype is put on being in a relationship, but you can have some of the best times of your life when you are single. When you look back on your life 50 years down the road, you are probably going to remember the times when you were a carefree, single college kid.

There is nothing wrong with being single and it absolutely has nothing to do with you. Maybe you are single because it’s not the right time for you. So ride this time out, learn about yourself, get closer with your gal pals and flirt (lol)! Being single is not all that bad. It should be a time in your life that you enjoy and take advantage of. Don’t wish away your single time by wanting a relationship; it is not always the best thing in the world.

Born and raised in the city of Philadelphia. Currently a nursing student at Drexel University. When not writing for HerCampus or studying loves to run, read and draw.