What Your BF Actually Wants for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Valentine’s Day is often regarded as a girly holiday—and usually it’s the bane of boyfriends’ existences because it means dropping a significant amount of cash on the flowers, chocolates, and romantic dinners. Maybe the reason your guy isn’t enjoying V-Day is because he’s not a recipient of the gift-giving aspect of the holiday. So, HC Drexel asked a few dudes what they would like for Valentine’s Day. Here are some of their answers:

1. “Well I think the most common answer is pretty obvious.”

Ryan from the University of Rhode Island said it perfectly—no surprise that sex was the top answer. Guys are simple and V-Day is indeed about love … in all its forms. Some lingerie, a toy, or acting out a fantasy were other honorable mentions in this category. Get creative!

2. “Chocolate … Pizza … Steak … Honestly, beer and food is A+.”

It’s well-known that the way to a guy’s heart is through his stomach. Matteo, who goes to Drexel, even specified that he’d love some filet mignon. There’s an idea: reverse the roles and take your guy out for a fancy meal!

3. “A home-cooked meal … or even just something as simple as a back massage.”

More often than not, men don’t expect much for Valentine’s Day since it’s thought of as a woman’s holiday. So, little things like having dinner on the table or rubbing his shoulders will mean a whole lot. Another guy suggested making a couples’ coupon book, “You know like ‘coupon to get out of doing the dishes’.”

4. “I guess something I would wear. Like if you can go out shopping and find me clothing that I would like I honestly would love that.”

Some guys are into fashion, too! Bernard from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice would appreciate it if a girl knew him and his style well enough to pick out an outfit that she knew he’d love.

5. “I love music so like headphones or a speaker would be cool.”

A great way to show your SO love is to get something personalized to their own unique interests. Figure out what your guy likes, whether it’s cars, sports, or music, and get him a gift that coincides with his hobby!

6. “Maybe like a day that she doesn’t text or call you. And you can play video games with your friends and not listen to her complain about anything (if she normally complains a lot).”

I’m hoping that this was meant as a joke, but either way the answer was too good not to share. If you’re a needy girlfriend, maybe the best gift to give your BF is time with the guys.

7. “In my opinion, Valentine’s Day is for the girls. The guy, me, would just want to spend time with his girl and see her smile.”

Doesn’t get easier than this! Some guys, like Tyler from the Rochester Institute of Technology, view your presence as a present and truly value quality time. But that’s not to say something small to show you care wouldn’t be appreciated!

8. “Guys don’t expect much for Valentine’s Day. It’s really just the guy trying to make it perfect for the girl. Like I would feel worse if I ruined your Valentine’s Day over me getting nothing.”

Cue the “aaaaw”s!

This V-Day surprise your guy by letting him in on the fun, too. The best part is that they’re most likely not expecting anything from you, which will make the gesture all the more meaningful. Hopefully this list inspires you! 

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.