Real Life Cooking for Real Life College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.
One of the things we all miss most about being back at home is a hot, cooked meal by mom or dad. Even though the community kitchen in your dorm might be a little intimidating, using it to your advantage can make dorm life that much better. Cooking in college should be simple, quick, and versatile. Here are some of my tips and tricks to real life cooking.

1.Prepare for the week
I like to make food for the week on Sundays when I have lots of time. This can make eating during the week easier. You can spend more time studying than thinking about what you are going to eat that day.  Preparing meals in advance can also assist in keeping that freshman fifteen off. You are less likely to grab that bag of chips on the way to class or snag a slice of pizza because your stomach is rumbling.

2. Chicken
Chicken can be baked or fried in a pan with some vegetable oil.  Rub some Adobo seasoning on it and you’re good to go. You’ll be amazed that you made something so delicious so effortlessly.  You can use chicken for many different meals, so you aren’t eating the same thing over and over again.  My favorite way to prepare it is to shred it up, add some mayonnaise, celery, salt and pepper, and make the bombest chicken salad that I’ve ever had.  You can also cut it up and throw it in a salad of leafy greens. Or, go Mediterranean and put it on pita bread with some hummus.

3. Pasta
Everyone in college eats pasta because it’s the simplest thing you can make (besides ice). There are so many different kinds of pasta and so many different sauces out there, so you can make endless combinations.  You can make a mac and cheese with some gnocchi or vodka sauce with cavatelli. Don’t be afraid to mix it up! Some angel hair pasta with steamed broccoli and a garlic and oil aioli is also a flavorful option. Go classic with rigatoni and tomato sauce if you aren’t feeling very adventurous. However, if you are feeling adventurous, try making the sauces from scratch.

4. Mexican
Black beans, avocados, sour cream, and cheddar cheese are the only ingredients you need to impress your friends with your cooking skills. Make a seven layer dip with some salsa and indulge with tortilla chips.  For a more hearty meal, try tacos! Brown some ground chicken or turkey with seasoning packets.  If you add some onions and peppers you’ve got fajitas. It tastes so much better than a typical burrito or quesadilla and it’s because you made it.

5.  Breakfast for Dinner
I can’t tell you how many times my roomie and I tip toe to the kitchen around midnight to make pancakes. Sauté some onions in butter and fry up some omelets. You can add any kind of vegetable like peppers, broccoli, spinach, or mushrooms. Fry up some sausage and bacon, chop some potatoes for home fries, and you’ll forget that it’s almost bedtime.

6. Quinoa and Farro
These grains are a little less boring than rice and they are very versatile.  You can eat them plain with parmesan cheese or a little oil.  To spice it up with nutrients, add in sautéd eggplant and zucchini. Top it off with some salt and you’ve got a healthy meal that is even gluten free. Try quinoa salad instead of pasta sald to cut carbs.  Add feta cheese, olive oil, and your favorite veggies and you’ve got a great side dish. Make it a meal by adding some of that chicken you made earlier.
Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.