How to #LoveYourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

We read a lot about self-love and how we can’t expect someone to love us if we don’t love ourselves first. But the truth is that sometimes we forget to do so. Especially during this time of the year when we are constantly reminded of how “lonely” we are, and that we don’t have a SO to remind us of how much we are worth. But there are small things you can do every day to learn how to love yourself more. Here are the seven steps on how to #loveyourself:

1. Point out the good things about yourself: It might sound cliché, but the best way to start loving yourself is by telling yourself that you are beautiful and worth it. Next time you see yourself in the mirror, ignore that little voice that points out your love handles and scars, and focus on the good things. Soon you will learn that you have more things that you love than flaws to hate.

2. The Good Three: Every night before heading to bed, write a list of three good things that happened during the day. Focus on the highlights or moments that made you smile instead of thinking of those situations that make you feel grey. Writing them down will help you realize that those moments happened and will let you have them handy for you to read when you need a quick pick me up.

3. Surround yourself with positivity: Have a Pinterest board with inspirational quotes, have post its around your room with your favorite empowering sayings, or just get rid of things that would normally bring you down. Being surrounded by positive things will remind you to smile and to enjoy life.

4. Fake it till you make it: Smile even if you feel like crying, and soon you will be smiling for real. Smiling also helps release endorphins and endorphins make you happy. So even if you know you are faking it, you will feel much better after showing those pearly whites.

5. Do NOT compare yourself: There’s always going to be someone taller, skinnier, prettier, and smarter, but that is okay! No matter what you are doing or how you look, remember that you are unique and nobody expects you to be like somebody else.

6. Exercise daily: Don’t do it to lose weight or to be able to rock those skinny jeans, but because it is good for your soul too. Exercising may very well help you shed pounds, but more importantly, you’ll shed the negativity of the day.

7. Find something that you love to do: Whether it is painting, running, dancing, or reading, find a hobby that makes you feel good and that distracts you. Doing a certain activity routinely will give you something to look forward to every week!

Remember that you are an amazing, beautiful person capable of doing amazing things. Don’t worry about what other people think. And no matter what you should #LoveYourself.

Orly is a Venezuelan senior at Drexel University majoring in Public Relations and double minoring in marketing and writing. In her free time, you can find her in a coffee shop writing, color-coding her way through life or binge watching One Tree Hill for the fifth time. She manages HCD's Facebook page as well as their Twitter and hopes to make a career out of social media someday.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.