Drexel Writing Festival Preview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

For those of you interested in writing, Drexel’s upcoming Drexel Writing Festival will definitely have an event that will appeal to you.

Photo by Pexels on Pixabay

The Drexel Writing Festival will take place from Tuesday May 9th, 2017 to Thursday, May 11. The festival will take place in the Pearlstein Gallery (besides for the poetry reading by Major Jackson), and is completely free and open to the public!

The Drexel Writing Festival has a diverse schedule full of readings, interesting workshops, guest speakers, live performances, movie screenings and more! Looking at the line-up of events, it’s clear that the this year’s festival will have something for everyone. Events will cover a full array of writing fields, from poetry to lyric writing to screenwriting to journalism. There will be  events about Arab and Muslim voices, Jewish heritage, queer comic books, a poetry reading by an NAACP Image Award finalist, and more. Below we’ve compiled a calendar that includes what each day’s events will hold.

Tuesday, May 9th

The events on Tuesday include: “The Writing on the Wall: How to Evaluate Good Writing” hosted by the Pennoni Honors College, a poetry reading by Major Jackson (which will take place at the Dornsife Center instead of the Pearlman Gallery), and a lyric workshop and live performance sponsored by MAD Dragon Radio, featuring Joe Genaro of The Dead Milkman and the MAD Dragon band Johnny Popcorn.

Wednesday, May 10th

The events on Wednesday include: “Listening to Food: A Culinary Writing Workshop” with Jonathan Deutsch, “Henna Rituals, Secret Codes, and Sacred Jewish Heritage” with novelist Nomi Eve and henna tattoo artist Payal Gupta (a multimedia presentation complete with free henna tattoos!), “Arab and Muslim Voices in America” with activist Zainab Al-Suwajj and poet Ahmad Almallah, “War on Facts: Journalism in the Age of Trump” with Journalist Dick Polman, Painted Bride Quarterly’s “Slam Bam” (an Improv Writing Competition), a launch reading of the 2017 Maya Literary Magazine (Drexel’s only undergraduate literary magazine), and a screening of film Almost Famous followed by a discussion of music journalism with music journalist Richard Abowitz.

Thursday May 11th

The final day of the festival includes events such as: “Moving Target: a Movement and Writing Workshop” with Drexel professor and author Kirsten Kaschock, “Making it Up: an Improv and Writing Workshop” with performer and Drexel professor Fred Siegel, “The Planet Bronx Effect: Queer Comic Books” with Ivan Velez, Jr., readings by Drexel English Department award winners and an award ceremony, and a screening of Buffalo 66 along with a discussion with screenwriter/co-writer of the film, Alison Bagnall.

Along with all of these events, there will also be tables with Drexel organizations at the festival. Her Campus at Drexel will be at the Drexel Writing Festival on Wednesday, May 10 from 4-9:30 pm, so come say hello!

As an organization of writers, Her Campus at Drexel is definitely looking forward to all of the awesome events happening at the Drexel Writing Festival! Every event will be extremely interesting, educational and diverse. We’re hoping that everybody goes to support Drexel’s writing community and gain a lot of valuable information from these events.  

For more in-depth information on events, visit the Drexel Writing Festival page.

Her Campus Drexel contributor.