A Definitive Ranking of Campus Dining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Ah yes, the campus dining options. For freshmen, you have the privilege of a new food menu with Aramark’s takeover. For those without meal plans and for the freshman that prefer to eat out, there are tons of food options on campus. Below is a ranking of the best restaurants on campus, organized by meal plan locations and non-meal plan locations. 

Meal Plan

1. Urban Eatery

Urban Eatery offers the convenience of a quality location and a variety of options for the price of meal swipe (or Dining Dollars). Whether you’re looking for custom pasta bakes, pizza, a salad bar or a dinner that changes by the week. All you can eat breakfast is served every morning until 11 a.m. on weekdays and until 4 p.m. on the weekends. Despite all of the options available, UE is not the place to go when you’re in a rush due to long wait times.

2. Northside Dining Terrace

Northside is great for freshmen because of its proximity to the dorms. It offers a Chick-Fil-A, a sushi bar, a Subway as well as a small convenience store. The presence of real fast food restaurants that accept Dining Dollars is an awesome perk. The prices of the food in the convenience store are expensive, but it is nearly impossible for freshmen to spend all of the allotted Dining Dollars anyway. 

3. The Hans

The only issue that has made the Hans sit at third on the list is it’s bad location. After the switch to Aramark food distributor, the quality of the food has improved incredibly. You can choose from a do it yourself salad bar, a deli bar, an omelet bar, and more. Using one meal swipe gives you the opportunity to get as much food as you want. Pro tip: go with am empty Tupperware container to stock up on cereal and other snacks for later. 

4. ThirtyOne41

Located in Bain building, ThirtyOne41 has a great array of breakfast foods. For lunch, they’re known for their deli wraps. The only downsides to the establishment are that they run out of their food quickly, there is a lack of seats, and it is out of the way for most students.

5. Starbucks in LeBow

The Starbucks in LeBow is last on the list of places to use your meal plan because of its terrible customer service and long wait times. I’ve been late to class on so many occasions just from waiting for a chai tea latte. Most of the time, I would rather pay my own money to get a coffee at the Summit’s Starbucks or Saxbys. The only good thing about the Starbucks in LeBow is it’s location and the fact that you can use Dining Dollars. 

Without Meal Plan

1. Blaze Pizza

Since it’s opening earlier this year, Blaze has grown in popularity. The amazing service and short wait for a pizza are enough to convince anyone to go. The opportunity to make pizza with any topping such as pesto or pepperoni with any type of sauce or cheese for under $10 makes Blaze a go-to restaurant. However, you will face long lines during the dinner rush. 

2. Sabrina’s Café

Sabrina’s is a campus staple. The famous French toast and all-day breakfast are known and loved all throughout campus. The prices are also decently affordable for students. However, avoid going for Sunday brunch because there’s a high chance of an hour wait.

3. Ramen Bar

New to campus, the Ramen Bar is situated under The Summit. The price is in the $11-$30 range, but it is totally worth it for this fresh Japanese cuisine. Choose from ramen, sushi, appetizers, drinks and rice dishes. 

4. Zavino

This Italian restaurant is great for girls’ night or date night. A bit on the pricier side, you can order gourmet pizzas, wine and more. It’s also conveniently located on Chestnut St. so you can pop in the right after class.

5. Savas

Savas is the go-to college spot for greasy, delicious bar food. From bacon cheeseburgers to specialty pizzas like buffalo chicken and taco slices. They also have the best french fries in the city, and the service is polite and punctual. Its right down the road from most dorms, and always stays open late for those after-party cravings.

6. CoZara

Add CoZara of convenient places to try for date night. Located on Chestnut St. near Zavino, this trendy bar and restaurant offer a wide range of Japanese food.

7. Ed’s Pizza

Ed’s is the unknown hole in the wall filled with tons of great lunch and dinner options. Overtaken by its surrounding food spots, Ed’s is wildly underrated. It is famous for its massive slices; it’s a major two for one. They have all the great slices to fulfill all of your cravings. Any pizza night would be lost without ordering Eds. But don’t get too excited, because pizza is the only thing they can do right. If you were craving a sandwich or a nice batch of fries, don’t order it from Eds. 

8. Shake Shack

Sometimes, you just need a good burger and milkshake. The popular chain is right on Chestnut St. so it’s super convenient to indulge in some cheese fries between classes.

9. Old Nelson

Old Nelson combines fresh groceries with a good quality deli. The convenience store is comparable to a higher end Wawa. The prices for organic snacks are priced well considering it’s located in the city. It’s a one-stop location to get tonight’s dinner as well as all of the groceries and necessities for the rest of the week without breaking your bank. 

10. California Pizza

You can’t go wrong with Cali fries after a night of partying. One of the perks of California Pizza is that it’s open until 3 a.m.

11. Landmark Americana

Located right in the DAC, Landmark is convenient for weeknight burgers or beer. It may not be the best quality food, but it is close to the dorms.

12. Drexel Pizza

Bearing the school’s name, Drexel Pizza is extremely close to the dorms, if you’re craving pizza. However, it is certainly not the highest quality.

13. Chipotle

Everybody’s favorite Mexican food joint, Chipotle has changed the game on campus. The only reason that it sits high on the ranking is that of it’s popularity among students. However, there is always ingredients missing, and the service is extremely slow compared to other locations. 

14. Pizza. Wings. Steaks.

Pdubbz is another place that can take care of your late night pizza cravings since it is open until 3 a.m., however, it is worth noting that it was just recently shut down for health violations, which is why it was placed last on the list. So while big daddy pizza is amazing, you may want to be skeptical about the safety of the food.

Now whenever you wonder what you should eat for dinner, you’ll know what restaurants are the best of the best. What’s your favorite place to eat on campus? Let us know in the comments!

Image | Cover | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 

Her Campus Drexel contributor.