This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Fall is a busy time here on Drexel’s campus. Between being swamped with midterms and endless club activities we seldom have time to ourselves. Date night with that special someone can often end up being a trip to Northside, a food truck, or, if you’re lucky, Kiwi. Dating in college can be next to impossible with such busy schedules, not to mention being strapped for cash. Whether it is a first date or your millionth date, every time deserves a little magic. Fall has wonderful weather, a change of season, and the promise of the holidays quickly approaching. It’s time we put the magic back in date night, without completely breaking the bank.

Movie Night

If you’re anything like my boyfriend and I, we don’t exactly have $20 bucks to drop on a crowded movie theater comes with a cold walk to and from Penn’s campus. There is nothing special about falling asleep watching Netflix and calling it date night. Instead, swing by 7-11 and pick up a Red Box movie that you have been dying to see but Netflix doesn’t offer. Go all out with movie theater butter popcorn and boxed movie theater candy from CVS. With just a few little additions your typical Netflix night has transformed into a movie date night from the comfort of your own couch.

Dinner for Two

When going out to dinner is too expensive or your favorite affordable option gets old, try making dinner instead. I’m not talking about easy mac and hot dogs, but it doesn’t have to be a steak dinner either. Try looking up a new recipe to cook together. Whether it’s a simple chicken parmesan or maybe homemade chili, cooking dinner together adds a twist to the typical dinner date. Run to Fresh Grocer or Trader Joes and pick up a few ingredients for dinner and get cooking! Dinner will be much more affordable and you will have leftovers! For our 21+ crowd out there, pick up a bottle of wine and pair it with dinner for that special touch. Maybe it’s a first date and your want something a little more casual? Homemade pizzas are always a fun and easy idea. All you need is a ready-made pizza crust, sauce, cheese, and a few toppings.

Seasonal Fun

The end of Halloween doesn’t mean the end of outdoor fall activities. Yes it’s a little late to pick pumpkins and go on haunted hayrides, but the nearby Linvilla Orchards still offers apple picking. Head over to the orchard and pick apples together for an affordable price. While you’re there make sure you get a cup of their fresh hot apple cider. Enjoy the fresh fall air with an outdoor activity that is seasonal and exciting. An added bonus, your fresh picked apples are cheaper than the grocery store with a crisp, fresh taste.

Coffee Date To Go 

If you’re aiming for something a little more casual, a coffee date might be a great option but sitting at a loud coffee shop full of others studying and meeting is not the most romantic. Instead try taking your coffee to-go. Swing by Joe’s or Starbucks and pick up your beverage of choice. Head down Market and in about four blocks you’ll hit the Schuylkill River Trail. The river trail is quiet enough to hold a conversation but busy enough to not be completely alone. Whether you’re walking the trail or grabbing a bench to chat, take your coffee date outside to enjoy a little fresh air.

Groupon Tickets

Looking for something a little more exciting? Try taking a quick scroll through Groupon for Philadelphia. You can find discount tickets to the Camden Aquarium, half off a sushi dinner in Center City, or if you’re lucky you’ll find tickets to a local performance venue. Comedy shows and concerts in Philadelphia can be found heavily discounted on Groupon to add a little variety to date night on a college budget.  

Dating in college can be difficult, but not impossible. Try to get creative with fun things to do around and outside the city. Fall gives us great weather to go out and enjoy during the day, and stay in and cuddle up at night. Take a break from midterms, try to relax, and plan a little date night to bring that spark into any relationship.

Dyana is a pre-junior at Drexel University with a double major in marketing and finance.  She is often stuck on campus studying for her majors, but in her free time she loves to explore what the city has to offer.  Dyana also loves to exercise and stay active all year round; she is always trying new workouts and researching the best way to stay active.  As a closet writer, she is excited to publish her work for Her Campus Drexel! 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.