Style > Beauty

Why Jackie Aina is My Favorite Beauty Vlogger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Anyone who loves makeup, or even doesn’t and just enjoys watching people put it one, probably have their favorite(s) that they connect with and could binge watch video after video, and my favorite is Jackie Aina for reasons other than her makeup skills (even though those our amazing too).

1. She Is Loyal To Her Favorite Products

A lot of beauty vloggers do sponsored videos, which is perfectly OK, I’m not mad at you, get your money (and free makeup) honey, but when I see the same products showing up in multiple videos, it lets me know that she genuinely likes and uses that product, and makes me consider investing in it because from a professionals point of view it’s worth trying.

2. She’s so Extra

I love the dramatics

3. She Makes Me Laugh

Like I think many others do, I watch makeup tutorials to pass time and Jackie doesn’t just give me great makeup tutorials, she brings me entertainment.

4. She’s Always Honest

She reviews and compares so I don’t have to, even if things are being hyped up by everyone, I really believe it’s all that (or not) if Jackie says so. When she does a first review of a video, her reactions are always so genuine. When she screams “ooooooh that’s prettyyyyyy” when trying something on for the first time, I can tell she means it. When she says “shade but no shade” I know to save my money.

5. She Has All The Tips

Crease lines? Smile lines? Creasing? Flashback? Finding your undertone? She got you, I didn’t even really know what undertone meant before Jackie explained.

6. Her Headwraps

They’re so cute and she always has matching fabric chokers.

7. Her Hair When She Isn’t Wearing Headwraps

Makes me want to start a whole wig collection because she always looks amazing.

8. She Calls Out Everyone and Everything (Including Herself)

She doesn’t tiptoe around products, trends or brands she doesn’t like, and she always laughs at herself too.

9. Calling Makeup Brands Out For Lack of Diversity

Jackie has a whole ‘The Worst Beauty Brands EVER for POC’ saying from the jump that she can appreciate supporting black owned brands, and saying she will side eye a brand for lack of diversity and call it for what it is.

10. And Praises The Brands That Do Make Quality Products For POC

Because why is this still so uncommon for a brand to actually make a more diverse color selection? How is there so many brands with a hundred shades of white and only two shades of brown?

11. She’s Not Here For The Criticism

I mean you could give it but… What’s the point?

12. The Highlight

Her highlight is ALWAYS poppin, I mean so it the rest of her makeup, but I try to pack and pack it on to get that glow like Jackie does, I haven’t really gotten it down yet though. Why did LaBronze have to be limited edition!?

13. She Uses Her Platform

Jackie has been told time and time again that her channel would be better if she didn’t speak out about certain injustices and just stuck to makeup, which would be easier than inviting controversy, but I’m glad she isn’t afraid to speak her mind, it makes her relatable to me.

14. She Calls Everyone Auntie

I don’t know why I love that so much, it’s just funny to me. When she speaks so casually and is silly it makes me feel like we’re friends. That’s why I love her videos so much, she’s inviting.

15. She’s Always Upfront About Prices

We all know beauty vloggers will try saying “it’s only…” and then follow with an outrageous price and try to pretend it’s inexpensive, but Jackie is always upfront when things are expensive and is honest about whether it deserves to be splurged on or if there’s a dupe out there that does the same thing (and Auntie Jackie always finds the dupes).

DSU Student. Mass Communications Major. IG: j.hane.y Twitter: Jhaney__
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.