What I Learned From Mass Comm Day 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

I was really hesitant to go to this years Mass Communications Day because I felt as if I was not prepared. I had just recently came back from Ghana, and was still trying to catch up in most of my classes. However, I decided to go because my favorite part of Mass Comm Day, is the panel discussions.  The topic this year was the increasing rate of minorities in the media and how it relates to gaining opportunities. I really enjoyed this topic because as an African American female I am placed at the bottom. Meaning first comes White men, then Black men, then white women, and lastly black women. Its even worse in the mass communication world where black females are rare. I felt myself listening hard to what the panelist had to say, however I couldn’t open up and comment. 

I think about how much harder I have to work to become a TV and Film writer/producer. And I never feel discourage or nervous because I have role models such as Shonda Rhimes and Oprah Winfrey to look up. I’m filled with emotions such as excitement and determination, because they have set the bar for me to follow, and I do not want to disappoint. I was more than thrilled to hear Stacey Evans Morgan speak, not just because we shared the same name but because she is one of the trailblazers I wish to become. Ms. Morgan is a TV and Film Producer/writer and is a Emmy Award Television producer. She has also written for UPN series, “One on One”, Warner Bros, and “The Parkers”. After hearing her encouraging words of wisdom, I was more than happy that I attended this years Mass Communication Day.  

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.