Mixing Comedy with Politics PT3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Chelsea Handler, known for her old late night show, Chelsea Lately. But now she has a new show also on Netflix called Chelsea. After having multiple stand-up shows and a 4-part mini documentary series, Chelsea Does in which she put herself into multiple controversial topics. While finding a better understanding of the topics she chose to follow, she added her comedic flare as the other comedians did. In her episode titled “Chelsea Does Racism” she did an interview with Al Sharpton and asked, “Is it racist to say every black person likes fried chicken and watermelon?” Al Sharpton commented, “It is because I don’t eat watermelon, it’s too sweet.” Both broke out in laugher because of said stereotype didn’t apply to him.

Chelsea Handler has never been an explicitly political comedian. But as the 2016 election gets closer, she has been using her Netflix talk show, simply titled Chelsea—as well as a partnership with Rock the Vote—to educate both herself and viewers about what’s at stake for the country this fall.

And what about Donald Trump and the election on the whole? “It’s embarrassing on so many levels. I think, in the history of the United States and the buoying of a man that represents such divisiveness and such on every kind of tenet that America is supposed to stand against.”

Hello! My name is Janae Faison and I am I double major at Delaware State University as a English and Journalism major. DSU Chapter of Her Campus just like the rest of the site is meant to empower all young women who are in college. Enjoy the DSU Chapter of Her Campus!