William Quinn Smith ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Hi Quinn! Thanks for sitting down with us today in between golf practice; I know you are super busy with all the things you are involved with on campus. Before we tell our readers about some of these things, I have a good question to begin this exclusive interview.

Her Campus: Quinn, describe yourself in three words.

Campus Cutie: That is a decently tough task, but I will go with Passionate. Patient. Perseverant. “The 3 P’s of Quinn”

HC: Please tell the readers some background info: where you’re from, what you like to do in your free time, and what you are involved with on campus!

CC: I am Junior from Bloomington, Indiana. I like to hang with friends and play an assortment of sports. When I am bored, I will nap or work out. As my body type shows, I mainly take naps. I am involved in Greek life on campus, on the Student Athletic Advisory Committee, and IM sports.

HC: Spoken like a true athlete. So Quinn, I know your first name is William…what made you choose to go by your middle name and why?

CC: I really didn’t choose my name (ha ha) that was up to the rents. William is a family name, so it has been passed down for generations. I am the 6th William in my family. Quinn is more unique, which I like, it gives me a little character.

HC: Talk about a family tradition, that is so cool! I know you are one half of Stuq enterprise, a stylish clothing line for both guys and girls. Tell us about the company!

CC: Stuq is a clothing company that I own and founded with THE Stuart Alvey. We came up with the idea when we were freshmen and have been trying to build it since. We essentially wanted to build a clothing line consisting of clothes that we personally would wear. It is based around the premise that we both are pretty dressers, but have a little street edge to us. So we try to combine the country club style with a bit of swag.

HC: The name is so unique, and I know some people have funny ways of pronouncing it. Tell our readers the correct pronunciation of Stuq.

CC: Yea. It if pronounced stuck, like “I’m stuck in a well.” (Ha ha) That has become my go to line for saying how to pronounce it, not sure how it came about but I’m stuck on using that phrase. No pun intended.

HC: (And he is a comedian!) So what has been your favorite item?

CC: The next one. I love looking forward to what we have coming next. But looking back, our best piece was our second shirt, The DePocket Tee. It was a pocket tee with two DePauw logos on them. President Casey even gave us some love with that shirt.

HC: Spoken like a true entrepreneur; I see you being a successful CEO down the road. What can our readers expect to see when the next seasonal line drops?

CC: We are trying to get more preppie in the coming seasons. We want to explore more colors and try to make our details a little more special. All clothes are essentially the same, but if you can get the details down, your brand will take off.

HC: Sounds like our readers have something to look forward to! How is golf season going? I hear you guys are pretty good.

CC: Golf is going well. We have had an up and down year thus far. We have one more weekend left, where the team will travel to North Carolina for fall break. We have got a lot of good freshmen in the mix, then some sophomores, and then strong upperclassmen. We are pumped with the crew we have and excited for the spring.

HC: I hear that Senior Drake Dunaway is one of the coaches! How does Coach Drake get you fired up for matches; what are his best motivation strategies?

CC: Coach Drake deserves to win National Coach of the Year. When he steps out on to the course, his attitude, extreme knowledge of the game and choice in snacks are unbeatable qualities. To get us fired up, we listen to “Bricks” by Carnage and Migos. During the round he uses a lot of scare tactics, like telling us we will walk home if we don’t make a putt. All in all, if his post grad plans don’t work, he could take over any program.

HC: He has got my vote for coach of the year! What is your favorite kind of shot to hit and why?

CC: My favorite shot to hit would be a driver. You always hear that ladies LOVE the long ball, so that’s what I like to do. Drake hits it long and he gets a ton of girls, so I try to emulate what he does.

HC: Drake seems like a truly great role model – maybe we should have interviewed him…just kidding! We are so very happy to have you here with us today, and I am sure the ladies on campus have been dying to know whether your heart taken or if there is room for someone special?

CC: I am not taken, so if your readers are picking up what I am putting down, I am more than willing to take them on a date and see what they are about.

HC: Would you take her to the nature park or to Plainfield for chipotle?

CC: I am a giver, so whatever BAE wants to do that is what BAE will do.

HC: Educate our readers on how to talk to the ladies; what is your best pick up line?

CC: “Dang, shorty, you are thicker than a snicker. Let me get a bite of that” is my go to line, but when I feel that isn’t the right way to go about things, I just play the nice, shy guy card.

HC: Man I am shocked you don’t have a girlfriend with game like that! Well gals, you should hit up Quinn if you are looking for an athletic, unique, and handsome guy. Break the ice by asking him to play a round of campus golf maybe! I will let you sign off here Quinn, any last thoughts or words to leave our readers with?

CC: I just want to say thanks for selecting me as this week’s Campus Cutie!