Why the Midwest is Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
While the majority of students at DePauw University are from Indiana or a neighboring state, people from all over the country (and world) travel thousands of miles to attend the small liberal arts college. Here I highlight a few students and ask them what it’s like to attend a college so far from home.

Kaitlyn Malley: Scottsdale, Arizona

How did you find DePauw?​ “My dad’s coworker’s daughter is an alumni. He mentioned it to us and we stopped by for a tour while we were in the Midwest and I fell in love with the campus in October.”

What’s the biggest difference between your hometown and Indiana?​ “The weather is definitely different; it is still in the 100s back home. We visited for the first time in the fall, and the leaves were so different from anything in Arizona.”

What’s your favorite thing about the Midwest?​ “I actually really love the weather so far… but we will see how long that lasts.”

Biggest transition or challenge? ​“I came to DePauw not knowing a single person and it was really just a leap of faith, but I’m so glad I took it! It’s hard with all my family and friends back home, but I’ve already met so many great people, it’s made it so much easier.”

Hannah Houpt: Charlottesville, Virginia

How did you find DePauw? ​“I actually found it by accident. I visited 17 schools up and down the East Coast. Then the summer before my senior year, we came back to Chicago, because that is where my brother and I were born and while my brothers and dad were at a Cubs game, my mom and I randomly decided to visited DePauw, so I crashed a prospective football student tour and ended up loving DePauw and came back for Fall Friday.”

What’s the biggest difference between your hometown and Indiana? “​The biggest difference is that here everyone is super friendly. I am not used to strangers saying hi to me.”

What’s your favorite thing about the Midwest?​ “Well, my favorite thing about Greencastle is Dairy Castle…I have a half gallon of cookies and cream to last me to February 15th.”

Biggest transition or challenge?​ “It was hard coming to such a small town and leaving everything that was familiar to me, but I have transitioned pretty well.”

Josh Krutchik: Los Angeles, California

How did you find DePauw?​ “I got an email from the golf coach two years ago and the more I looked at the school, the more I liked it.”

What’s the biggest difference between your hometown and Indiana? “​Probably just the size. LA is this massive city that has beaches, skyscrapers, and so much stuff to do and Greencastle has a Walmart.”

What’s your favorite thing about the Midwest? ​”It’s more laid back here; life is more slow paced and the people are nicer.”

Biggest transition or challenge? “​Probably just talking to all my friends and family back home, because they are three hours behind me so finding a good time to talk is challenging”

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.