We ADORE Our Guy Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As a first year at DePauw like others midway through the semester I have connected with many different friends and I am continuously grateful for my guy friends I have met on campus. After a couple months, I have established that the large majority of guys strolling from classes are cute and clever, but most importantly kind-hearted. As you are building friendships throughout your four years at DePauw, keep in mind how important it is to have a great guy friend. Here are ten reasons why finding a guy friend are important.

1. Guy friends are great at assisting you with physical things you cannot handle. For example, they can help you open a jammed window or reach your suitcase at the top of your closet before heading home for Thanksgiving.
  2. Men in general have a protective instinct, and therefore, will often protect you from harms way at a party. In social settings like fraternity parties, they can also introduce you to other guys he trusts.
  3. Some guys don’t know how to listen but a guy best friend will listen to you complain about anything. They will listen to you complain about class, sports, girl drama or awkward scenarios with your newest crush and they won’t spill your secrets!
  4. Most guys have a great sense of humor, but most importantly, guy friends will always make you laugh and never deny a hug.
  5. Guys will always give advice on how to deal with guy drama. Keep in mind, sometimes its just more comical then effective. But it’s the thought that counts!
  6. They always give you honest advice on your clothing choice whether you want to hear it or not. Usually, they are right and you thank them later.
  7. Guy friends will always have your back in social setting and never leave you stranded in a crowd.
  8. Lets be honest, every girl needs a shoulder to cry on.
  9. After a wild night they ensure you get home okay even if it means taking fifteen minutes out of their night to walk you home from Marvin’s.
  10. Guy friends are great at establishing a judge free zone so sit back and relax! Go out on a limb and have them teach you about a new sport or practice their game day superstitions and cheer on your favorite sports team.

Lesson learned yet? Do not be shy when it comes to guys! Introduce yourself and strike up a conversation. You might end up finding a new best friend. However, make sure you clarify your intentions. Don’t jeopardize a friendship especially if either of you wish to pursue more then being “just friends.” The last thing you want is an awkward situation later on in the school year. Good luck ladies, have a fun year, and be safe!

From Tulsa, Oklahoma and a current first year student at DePauw University. At DePauw I play soccer and intend to study psychology and women studies.
Rose Overbey

DePauw '20