Trapped in the Dorms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

We’ve arrived. The Class of 2015 is here to stay, and soon enough we’ll be free to venture outside of the dorms. Although we sometimes feel trapped in South Quad (and Lucy), I think this is a good time for us to bond and adjust to college life together. As a freshman, I wouldn’t exactly say I’m a fountain of knowledge, but here are some helpful tips I’ve discovered along the way.

± 15 lbs

Worried about the Freshman 15, ladies? Have you already fallen head-over-heels for those late night GCB’s? You’re not alone. But fortunately, there’s no reason for despair. College changes your lifestyle, no doubt about it, but YOU get to choose that new lifestyle.

I have heard that the infamous Freshman 15 isn’t necessarily a weight gain, but more of a “plus-or-minus” option. Maybe you didn’t work out much back home? That’s okay! Now is the perfect time to start. There are myriads of exercise classes available on campus—for free! Try something new like Turbo Kick. Ask a friend to go with you. I’m sure she’ll appreciate the exercise encouragement. Having a tough time incorporating exercise into your busy schedule? Don’t shower and get ready before that 8 AM class, and then you’re left with no excuse to avoid the gym. You could use that free hour to take a nap, or instead go the extra mile (pun intended) and stay in shape.

Wear Your Chaco’s

Chaco sandals are all the rage in many places, but some people, like my sisters, think they are not particularly fashionable. They frequently refer to them as my “hippie” or “granola” shoes. Despite their good-humored jabs, I love my Chaco’s. But I was anxious at first about bringing them to DePauw. I didn’t know what the girls would be like. I didn’t want whispers or stares as I walked by in my hiking-enthusiast sandals.

As college freshmen, we can sometimes revert back to that middle school complex of wanting to be just like everyone else. But then we remember how torturous middle school was—and how dreadfully we all dressed. At this point in our lives we have already become strong individuals with unique personalities, and this is the time to embrace all of that self-discovery from the past four years. Be an individual. It’s easier to make friends when you’re yourself—it makes you memorable.

I was happy to receive multiple compliments on my Chaco’s at DePauw. And, it was a delightful surprise to learn that my roommate even shares my Chaco passion.

Make lists

Time management. That’s the term teachers and parents have lectured us about for years. Who knew it would actually be relevant? Suddenly, we’re not sitting in class from eight to three, Monday through Friday. Yet, on the flipside, we have more homework than ever. The workload can feel extreme, especially for those of us who had a relaxed senior year of high school.

Make a list when you’re feeling stressed, or even better, before the stress sets in. When you see everything written out on paper it feels less overwhelming, and you can begin to tackle tasks one at a time. Maybe this is just my Type A personality coming out, but there is nothing more satisfying than crossing things off of my list.

People are the best investment

We’re all good students here at DePauw. We don’t rank our classes as our last priority, and we don’t sit around doing nothing in our free time. We like to be involved.

However, free time is crucial to maintain your sanity. I’m guessing you came to college to do more than read textbooks and write papers. We’re here to meet new people and make lifelong friends. And that isn’t just a byproduct of college life—it’s one of the purposes.

I’m sure you’ll remember to have fun, but more importantly, take the time to invest in people. Read a friend’s paper if she asks you for help. Sit and talk with the girl down the hall who is painfully shy but has been nothing but nice to you. She’ll come out of her shell in no time with some friendly encouragement.

DePauw is our home for the next four years. Invest in the people around you, and you won’t be sorry. Strong friendships create a community that feels like family. And now, while we’re away from our siblings, parents, homes, (and pets!) for the first time, we can all use the love and support of a family.

Grace is a Communications Major at DePauw University. She enjoys traveling, music, shopping, and being in the sun.