Thor Got a Hair Cut so The World is Officially Ending

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Like any typical and totally chill comic book fan, as soon as the weekend of November 8th 2013 passed with a successful four visits (and two more the following weekend) to see Thor: The Dark World, I immediately began googling when the next Thor movie would be. What it may be about? Who could be in it? And (most importantly) will Chris Hemsworth or Tom Hiddleston have a shirtless scene? After months and months of brainstorming hundreds of theories, thankfully, some of my questions were answered the following summer when the title of the new Thor movie was announced, Thor: Ragnarok. Soon after that the cast list was released and eventually a comedic short where Thor is living in Australia with his roommate Darryl. Just last week however, new, colorful and shocking set photos were released showing Thor with no hammer and short hair.

The only time Thor has been without his hammer was the first Thor movie when he was not worthy. He also has the power to summon his hammer, so where is it? How did he manage to lose it? He seems to be compensating just fine though with what seems to be three swords and a weird looking shield. But what’s up with the new costume, battle paint and the HAIR? My best guess is that Thor has somehow become unworthy so he loses the hammer and cuts his hair to show his unworthy-ness (is that even a word?).

After getting over the absolute shock of Thor’s new look, I was able to appreciate the amazing new villain that will be the main big bad for this movie: Hela.

Honestly I’m not sure what to expect. She’s been portrayed in so many different ways throughout the comic books and actual mythology, and the movies don’t usually follow either. My best guess is that somehow she manages to gain power due to Loki’s rule as king because let’s be honest, Loki probably isn’t the most observant leader (He has too many of his own problems going on what with impersonating the most powerful god after faking his own death. Also remember Thanos? Anyone?). Overall, I’m super excited for this portrayal of Hela. Cate Blanchett is a queen and as long as Hela is wearing her amazingly dramatic headdress at some point I will be happy.

Finally, I’m just going to leave this right here.

I don’t know where to begin. Loki’s not obviously impersonating Odin at this moment. So what is he doing? His hair is brushed, he looks calm, NOT wearing green (when has that ever happened? Never?) He has a yellow cape on is holding what seems to be a martini. I don’t even know what to make of this. Honestly, he’s probably doing something underhanded but who am I to judge. My best guess for Loki is that he screws up, Thor finds out, a little bit of “brother you’re alive?!”, they team up, bromance road trip thing and then Loki double crosses him.

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.