There Ain’t No Such Thing As Free Equality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Hey, it’s Women’s History Month!

Didn’t know that? Not that surprising. The only way I found out was the posters advertising it in the bulletin board in my dorm building. But, why is that? Why do things such as Black History and Women’s History go by so unnoticed? These are important months to celebrate the history and stories of African American and women’s rights leaders, and how they changed the course of each race or sexes’ history.

Why should we pay attention to women’s history month?

BECAUSE IT’S IMPORTANT! The history of how women gained simple rights such as voting and treatment in the work force should be known and celebrated. The many activists for women’s rights, such as Susan B. Anthony, Lucy Stone, and Gloria Steinem, roles in history must not be forgotten. It can also help show the progress that women are continuing to make to this day; acting as an example for a younger generation of women to continuing working for women’s rights.

Aren’t Women and Men Treated equally? Why is Women’s rights still an issue?

Though women’s rights have progressed over the past one hundred years there is still work to be done. According to a recent study published in the U.S. News, women doctors make an average $12,000 less a year then male doctors. Females make a weekly wage that is 81% of a males wage. The way women are viewed is also an area of concern. Women are still looked down upon in athletics, even though women are beginning to dominate the field. Out of the 46 gold medals the U.S. won in the 2012 Olympic games, females won 29 of them. Still, women are viewed as sex symbols and objects in different cultures. These issues still need to be addressed in our culture; these types of views about women need to be changed in order for society to move forward.

Ways to get involved and spread the word!

Everyone can do to celebrate Women’s History Month! There are multiple ways to get involved and spread the word here are a few simple ideas:

• Learn about it! The only way to get into Women’s History Month is to learn about it. An easy websites for info is womenshistorymonth.gov, it’s a great source with many stories, photos and video about a wide range of women’s rights activists.
  • Tell a Friend! Tell a friend about what you have learned and encourage them to do their own research. Go to different activities with a group! Don’t try and celebrate alone! Everything is more fun with a group, different people can provide different insight into women’s history and can help teach everyone something them had never thought of before.
  • Get involved! There are a variety of activities through out the month that can help you get involved. DePauw’s Women’s Center has created a variety of events and displays that can help everyone learn about Women’s History Month. Stop by the UB building lobby from the 13-22nd to see a powerful display of photos highlighting the importance of women’s equality.

Though it often goes by unnoticed, Women’s History Month is an important time to reflect on not only the importance of women’s equality, but also how it has progressed over the years and where it will lead in the future.