A Taste of Home: DePauw Students and Their Pets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As an animal owner, I know how hard it is to leave your little lovies behind. As we get closer to Spring Break, homesickness for your furry friends can be almost unbearable, so let’s take a moment and appreciate some of the adorable pets owned by DePauw students. First we have Leia Hudgens. She found Dexter, the orange kitty, on campus and it was love at first sight. She took Dexter home a few days later and claimed him as her own. Leia’s dog, Maddie, passed away a week after finding Dex but she will always be loved and remembered! Last but not least is Leia’s other cat, Mocha. Even though Mocha was the only cat for 16 years, she welcomed Dexter into her territory. So sweet!

Bridget Donnelly and Kate Marburger, roommates, discovered on the first day that they both had the same breed of dog. What a coincidence! Emi and Rudy are King Charles Cavalier Spaniels. Kate and Bridget can’t get enough of their puppies! Aren’t they just the cutest?

David Jones misses his dog as well. Walter is his name and he is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. This Corgi joined the Jones family back in 2003 and they couldn’t have been happier! A dog is truly a man’s best friend.  

Kaitlyn Malley is also a proud pet owner. Her dog’s name is Rex, he is a Shih Tzu Maltese mix. Rex was a Christmas present to Kaitlyn when she was in kindergarten, so precious! Her cat’s name is Kenzie, her breed is unknown because she was rescued at 5 weeks old in front of a vet’s office. You may wonder, cats or dogs? The answer is both!  

Here are my little sleepy babies! I hope these stories gave you a sense of home today.  

Freshman at Depauw University.
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.