etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Break on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
Being college students, we all know that classes, food, gas and life are all pretty expensive. If you’re saving your money, don’t have a job or spent all of your money on food, you might be wondering what you can possibly do over Spring Break. Luckily, there are several options that don’t involve breaking the bank. 

Go Visit Friends at Other Colleges!

Most schools have their Spring Break at different times, and I personally don’t have any friends from home who have theirs at the same time as me. However, you can still make plans to go see a few of your closest friends at college. You might end up going somewhere you have never been before. On top of this, you don’t have to pay for a hotel and you can even make a mini road trip out of the event. 

Spend Time at Home!

If you don’t live close to your college and don’t have a car, then you can probably only go back home for breaks. Spring Break is the perfect chance to catch up with your family and take advantage of your own bed, bubble baths and seeing your pets! 

Netflix!

Everyone loves relaxing with Netflix at school, but unfortunately classes and activities can get in the way of binge watching. If you find some free time over Spring Break and feel the need to relax and enjoy your bed for a day (or ten) Netflix is the way to go. There are so many great options from American Horror Story to Gossip Girl

Catch Up on School Work!

While this is probably the most boring option, Spring Break is the perfect opportunity to catch up on homework. There’s nothing better than laying in bed with your dog, drinking hot tea and leisurely working on homework. Starbucks and Panera are also great places to study, and when you get back to school you will feel much more relaxed. 

Go Shopping!

This one probably doesn’t make sense, but there are some great ways to shop on a budget! Shopping at thrift stores is always interesting and you can actually find some great deals if you do it right. Outlet malls are also a great option. There is always window shopping, sales and simply setting a budget as well. 

Exercise!

If you’re like me and can never seem to fit the gym into your schedule at school, Spring Break is the perfect time to get some good workouts in. If you don’t have a gym membership, most gyms offer a free 3 or 7-day trial period where you get full access to all the equipment, classes and other amenities (saunas and steam rooms). There are also a few yoga studios that offer three days of free classes! These are great things to take advantage of while you are on break. If you don’t enjoy working out inside, you can always go for a hike or a run outside. They are always free and great for you.  

Go Outside!

Hopefully the weather will begin to improve for your Spring Break because there are a lot of things to do that involve being outside. Forest preserves are my favorite and it’ll be the perfect time to be outside in nature.

Have a Day in the City!

Wandering around the closest big city can be so much fun and really entertaining. Walking around with friends or family is free and there are a lot of cool things to see! Many places offer free events and activities, too. If you look in advance you can find a lot of deals for students or free admission days at zoos and museums. You can even get dressed up and act like a tourist in your own city just for the sake of #artsy Instagram pictures!

Eat Real Food!

While food on campus can be pretty good, it is hard to not miss homecooked meals. Spring Break is the perfect time to have your parents cook your favorite dishes or to go to your favorite restaurants. My personal favorites include Lou Malnati’s, Gino’s East, Portillo’s, Whole Foods, Panera and anywhere I can get good sushi!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.