Philanthropy Events: Why and How to Participate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Kaitlin Pickrel  

Now that our Greek chapters are buzzing with new members, it’s time to show them one of the greatest aspects of Greek life: philanthropy! DePauw’s campus is full of sheet signs, fliers and tickets to various philanthropic happenings. Great weather is on its way, which gives us a perfect excuse to be outside and raise money for important causes. Check out the top reasons why you should get involved in taking part in the hard work Greek houses have put into their big philanthropy events this spring:

1. Friendly competition. A lot of events involve competitions between sororities and fraternities. What better way to show love for your affiliation, with the true winners being our charities? 

2. Brighten the future. Some sororities on campus sponsor charities involved with literacy rates and promoting children’s books in the community.  Are you still ob-SUESS-ed with your childhood bedtime story favorites? These events are for you! Bring out your inner-child by coloring, reading and munching on afternoon snacks of course!

3. Supporting a talented campus. My personal favorite! Watching sororities and fraternities get up on the stage and show off their so-called “talents.” If you are looking for a laugh, show your support at these friendly contests. The competition is intense with bragging rights on the line, and the talents are hardly an act to miss!

4. Food. If you are ever in need of a break from swiping that Tiger Express card or eating at your chapter house, many events provide yummy food in return for a charitable donation. 

5. Do what you love. Participate in some of your favorite activities to support charities. Some Greek houses hold philanthropy events such as yoga, Zumba, basketball and hula hooping that raise money.

6. Support the community. This spring Special Olympics and Relay for Life will be held, and next fall will be the United Way Day of Caring. Charity events such as these unite the DePauw community with the Greencastle community even more, something DePauw strives for.

7. Change up the routine. Sometimes we collegiettes need a break from class work and/or a change in the lineup of our social lives on the weekends. Upcoming philanthropy events are that quick fix to try something new and help make a difference in the process.

8. Pay attention. If you feel like you never know when these events are going on, take a look around when you walk across campus! Countless fliers, sheet signs and sidewalk-chalk displays advertise events on campus

9. Participate in any way possible. If you really feel like you don’t have the time to attend an event, participate in fundraisers that require no time at all, such as the March Of Dimes. It simply requires tossing your loose change into a jar.

10. Make a difference. Bottom line: grab some friends and go out to these events. Have fun with them—what better feeling is there than helping out a charitable organization. Let’s all try to make an effort and show our support for causes and organizations at DePauw.

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.