This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Jerry Fowler is senior Computer Science major from Fort Worth, Texas. He is an athletic comedian and a complete computer nerd. When he told me to check out his website that has been years in the making, http://artelementnow.com, I asked, “What do you now about art?” He admits to not having extensive knowledge or skills, rather a deep appreciation for art. Art Element Now is an online community of artists – professionals, students, and educators. It serves as a dynamic resource and learning center for artists, collectors, and curators. Art Element Now is a place where all forms of art and the creative process are valued.
     On this website there are employment, funding, internship, and apprenticeship opportunities. Also listed are a number of very interesting events happening all over Indiana. On top of this, there is a blog section, where artist from all over post articles discussing a wide array of subjects from photography to how to sell your art. “We are really trying to help students connect with the professional side of the art world through the many opportunities we offer.”  Art professionals can join and have the ability to blog and network with fellow professionals, college art students, educators, organizations, and collectors. Professionals can also broaden the range of followers of their artwork, and even help mentor students looking to further their career as a professional artist.
     Fowler says that the idea for Art Element Now began with conversations with senior Art majors. When he asked the seniors about their plans “post DePauw,” 90 percent of them had not a clue as to what they wanted to do, and argued that there weren’t enough resources for Art majors. After thinking about these conversations and getting connected with his co-founder, Matthew Bennett, a 2010 graduate, the idea for Art Element Now blossomed. When they first came up with the idea, they had no money and no connections, whatsoever. After about 50 disheartening calls, with some stubbornness and hard work thrown into the mix, Fowler and Bennett ended up receiving over $10,000 in funding and created connections with large organizations, like the Indiana State Museum. 
     What work is left to do? A lot. Fowler’s job as a co-founder includes editing, promoting, searching the web and other resources for opportunities, blogging, discovering new artists, the list goes on. He hopes to see the site eventually become universal, to have people from Indiana to Hong Kong using Art Element Now.  

So, if art is one of your skills, or just one of your interests, check out Art Element Now online!

Katie Tangri is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, studying Communication and Sociology. She is a member of the Alpha chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta, a speaking and listening consultant and the Vice President of Program for Panhellenic Council. Her interests include shopping, baking and reading. She hopes to get a job at a non-profit organization upon graduation.