It’s Caramel Apple Season…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

It’s Caramel Apple Season…

What better way to embrace the cool autumn air than with a homemade caramel apple? For merely five dollars you can make fresh caramel apples coated with your favorite candies or nuts. Why buy prepackaged treats at the store when you can easily prepare your very own scrumptious snack for a fraction of the price. See this as a socially acceptable way to play with your food, for by the end of your cooking session you will have sweet caramel-covered fingers. I challenge you to plan a day next week where a much needed study break will surely creep up. When this moment appears, scurry over to Kroger or Walmart, and before you know it you will be indulging in a satisfying self-made treat. For those of you living with a sad excuse for a kitchen, I must tell you that all you need for this recipe is a microwave and a bowl. Go forth and eat!

Caramel Apples

Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Ready In: 25 minutes
Servings: 6

Ingredients:
6 apples
1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
2 tablespoons milk
Various candies or crushed nuts to coat the caramel apples

Directions:

Remove the stem from each apple and press a craft stick into the top. Grease a baking sheet.
Place caramels and milk in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave 2 minutes, stirring once. Let caramel mixture cool briefly.
Roll each apple quickly in caramel sauce until well coated. Place on prepared sheet and sprinkle with desired candy/nut coating.
Let apples set until caramel is no longer runny. Enjoy outdoors, preferably on a porch swing.

Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Calories: 324
Total Fat: 5.6g
Cholesterol: 5mg 

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.