It pays to be young: The wonders of the student ID

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

“—Yes, a large original crust pepperoni pizza and an order of breadsticks.  Oh, and may we substitute all of our sauce cups for cheese cups? And then add two extra cheese cups?  Perfect.  Thanks!”

My roommates and I order pizza delivery almost every weekend.  The total adds up to $22.88 and we split it three ways.  So with tip, we each pay around $8.  It may not sound like a lot at first, but for a college student — or anyone for that matter — it adds up.  Between late-night frosty runs, weekend Marvin’s orders and pizza dinners, you end up spending a whole lot more than you expected.  Last week, when we ordered our pizza, we tentatively threw in the question:

“And…do you offer any student discounts?” 

We received 30% off our regular pizza delivery and I only pitched in $6 that night.  Intrigued and excited, I was determined to figure out if there were any other restaurants in town that I have been missing out on saving money.  Over the next week or so, I spent time calling and visiting restaurants.  Unfortunately, the responses I received weren’t particularly in my favor or even consistent.  But, if anything, I’ve learned that I should always ask if a store offers student discounts and you should always carry your student ID with you where ever you go. 

Greencastle, Indiana

At fast food chain restaurants, the employee responses varied when I asked about student discounts.  To be safe, always ask about a student discount.  You have nothing to lose.  Some places that may sometimes offer a student discount, depending on locations (and maybe who you ask) include:

• Subway
  • Papa John’s  
  • Kroger
  • McDonald’s
  • Arby’s

While chains like Subway and McDonald’s sometimes honor their student discount policy, it seems like none of the local restaurants offer student discounts [sigh], but the following do accept our Tiger Express cards:

• Almost Home Restaurant
  • Chief’s
  • Downtown Café (formally known as Downtown Deli and before that Treasures on the Square)
  • Green Apple Frogurt
  • Los Martinez Restaurant
  • Mama Nunz Italian Steak House
  • Marvin’s
  • Starbucks
  • The Fluttering Duck
  • 2 West Bistro

So, to those of us with money on our Tiger Express, utilize it.  I, for one, haven’t used my Tiger Express for two years.  However, would be wise for us, college students, to utilize the local restaurants’ daily specials. 

Marvin’s has daily specials during the weekdays.  For instance, (my guilty pleasure) Tuesdays they have a special of three burritos for about $6.  Three of us are fed and we spend two bucks each.  Your Marvin’s order could have a special day too, so I suggest that the next time you’re in Marvin’s you look at the counter and find your day.   

Almost Home doesn’t offer student discounts either, but they do have specials throughout the week.  If you’re looking for a date night, you should pay attention.  On Mondays, bottles of wine are half price at Almost Home.  If you want to plan a Girls’ Night Out make it Tuesday and enjoy $2 margaritas.  Or on Wednesdays, it’s Pasta Night where you build your own pasta bowl for $10.95.  My input: It’s worth it.  Additionally, if you’re feeling classy, Wednesday is also half-priced martinis.

Don’t forget Buffalo Wild Wings’ special promotion days either.  Ever heard of Wing Tuesdays or Boneless Thursdays?  On any other day, the price for six traditional wings is $5.99, but on Tuesday’s they are only $0.40 a wing.  This is a great deal for wings lovers.  Also, for eight boneless wings it normally costs $7.99, but on Thursdays they are $0.50 a wing.

If you are aware of our restaurants’ daily specials, you’re going to find more money in your wallet throughout the semester.  Next time you’re out, make sure you take down the weekly specials.  It pays off!

Outside Greencastle

While your student ID doesn’t get you much in Greencastle, it will elsewhere.  When you’re going on those road trips to Plainfield, Avon, Bloomington, Indianapolis, wherever, keep that student ID with you.  Believe me, it does more than just let you into Lilly and the dorms. 

Many movie theater chains like AMC and Regal offer student discounted ticket prices.  The Metropolis Theater in Plainfield, IN offers students tickets at $9 Sunday through Thursday with a valid student ID.  On weekends (Fridays and Saturdays), tickets are $10 plus tax. 

Our favorite Mexican fast food chains, Qdoba and Chipotle, throw in a free drink for students who show a valid student ID. 

If someone were to spill a drink all over your computer, like what former Campus Cutie Taylor Baron mentioned in his interview, it would be good to know that Apple and Dell offer student-discounted prices.  Apple offers student discounts of 8-10% off certain items.  So, if you’re in need of a new laptop, iPod, Apple accessory, etc. make sure to check if you are eligible for student pricing. 

Now, if you’re in need of new garb, many of our favorite retail shops offer student discounts.  J.Crew offers 15% your entire purchase with the grand presentation of your student ID.  Other retail shops include Ann Taylor LOFT, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters, and Eddie Bauer.  The discount is normally between 15-20%, so do not forget it when you’re going on a spree. 

And to you abroad readers, we won’t forget about you.  They’re not called student discounts, but instead youth discounts.  The Eurail offers youth traveler prices, which is available only to those 25 and younger.  Youth travel passes are 35% off the second-class adult travel passes.  An exciting comparison: A 26-year-old would have to purchase a $799 (plus tax) for a 15-day Eurail pass, but as a 21-year old my ticket would be only $520 (plus tax).  This is the world telling you to explore while you’re young! 

Boy, it pays to be young

Our student ID holds more power than we give it credit for.  Most of us have carelessly misplaced our IDs more than once — I know that I’ve had three over the past three years.  And, lest I remind you, it’s $20 to replace them.  The moral of this post is to 1) always carry your student ID with you, 2) always ask if there’s a student discount, and 3) embrace your youth!