Ignorance is NOT Bliss When it Comes to Caffeine.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

So, you’ve had a long day- a long week, actually. Let’s be honest it’s been one hell of a semester. You just want a pick me up, but you need to get the job done because Roy O. is calling for a late night. Rushing to the hub you stare at the drinks. Monster catches your eye. You think- might as well grab two, right? It can’t hurt? Oh, but it can!

Two 24-ounce Monster Energy drinks are equivalent to drinking 14 cans of coke. Put a time limit on this consumption and results can be deadly. Having that much caffeine in your system can cause a heart attack for all ages, even young and healthy kids. Caffeine toxic level fall between 150-200 milligrams per kilogram of body weight- for a 150-pound woman this is about 50 cups of coffee. Seems like a lot, right? And you are probably thinking there is no way I would EVER drink that much caffeine. Wrong.

There were more than 13,000 emergency department visits related to consumption of energy drinks in 2009- almost ten times as many as reported in 2005. Energy drink consumption is on the rise, and with the combination of alcohol, it is easier and easier to pound caffeine in your system over a short period of time. Without even realizing it you could be putting your health at a great risk.

Studies found that consuming over 200 mg of caffeine can lead to a blood pressure spike of up to 14 points putting you at a risk of heart disease, stroke, and kidney failure. Another study, the American Medical Association council on Scientific Affairs recommends no more that 250mg of caffeine a day- roughly three cups of coffee. Side effects of caffeine such as sleeplessness, jitters, irritability, headaches, and nervousness are reason enough to cut your caffeine intake down. With the knowledge of increased health risk including death, consider next time you go to pick up a Monster and PLEASE grab a Coke instead. Actually, make it a Diet Coke…Total Sorority Move. Not to mention Total SMART move.

Below is a list of caffeinated beverages to put in perspective how much caffeine you are giving your body on a daily basis. Take note! Ignorance is not worth a trip in an ambulance.

Beverage

Standard serving (oz.)

Caffeine Content (mg)

Mega Monster Energy

24

240

Red Bull

8.3

80

5-Hour Energy

1.93

207

Espresso

2

30-90

Brewed Coffee

8

102-200

Brewed Tea

8

40-120

Bottled iced tea

16

10-100

Soft drink

12

71 or less

Coffee-flavored ice cream

8

50-84

Dark chocolate bar

1.45

31

Hershey’s Chocolate Bar

1.55

9

Excedrin (Extra Strength)

2 tablets

130

NoDoz (Maximum Strength)

1 tablet

200

Source: Center for Science in the Public Interest