Homemade Christmas Gifts for Your Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

By time the holidays come around I know I am always in a bind for money. I have so many people that I cherish in my life, but it is hard to find genuine gifts that don’t burn a hole through your wallet. I have a new plan for Christmas this year, and I think you guys will benefit from this idea as well. This year I want to put together homemade gifts for my friends. They are cute, heart felt and do not make my money situation any more stressful. Here are some ideas!

1. 52 Reasons

Playing cards are the perfect gift. We all have random deck of cards just lying around at our house, now we can use them as a gift! You could do 52 reasons why you love your best friend or 52 reasons why this person is your best friend. The list goes on and on; you can be as creative as you want. You can even add pictures on the joker cards for the beginning and end. I know I would love this!

2. Cute, Inspirational Coffee Mugs

I don’t know about you guys, but I have friends from my hometown that I miss everyday. What better way to tell them how much you miss them than with a homemade coffee mug (especially if that certain someone is a religious coffee drinker). You could use the quote shown in the picture, pick a different quote that pertains to your friends OR you could create your own! Say whatever you want, and I can almost guarantee that your friend will shed a tear or two.

3. Pictures on a Letter

This next one is especially easy to create. All you have to do is go to a store, like Michaels for example, pick out the first letter of your friends name and some photo glue. You can print out all sorts of adorable pictures that describe your friendship and it becomes a super cute decoration for her room. It’s cute, easy to make and its original. Why not try it out?

4. Cup of Favorite Things

This one is a good one. I know that I enjoy having these types of cups around for drinks in my room. They are easy to carry around and you can reuse it all the time for the beverage of your liking. Not only will you provide a new cup for your friend but you can also fill it with some of her favorite candies, nail polish or anything you know she would like! If it doesn’t all fit, just provide a basket like in the picture! Great idea right?? 

5. Crayon Art

Last but not least, make some crayon art! I’ve always wanted to do this, but I have never gotten around to it! All you have to do is buy a canvas (at the size of your choosing) and glue on the color of crayons you think are best and in any design you think your friend would like! There is so many ways to go about this. You can add pictures, quotes or even drawings. You can find more ideas on Pinterest as the creations are literally endless.

I hope some of these ideas appeal to you and help you figure out your gifts this year! As we finish finals week, trying one of these creations as a stress reliever! Happy Holidays!

Freshman at Depauw University.
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.