Here’s to Happy and Healthy Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

The Holidays are upon us and that means Christmas cookies, latkes, and flavored Starbucks coffees galore. We’ve all been told to indulge in moderation, but hey, ‘tis the season to stuff your stockings…why not stuff your belly too? With these healthy recipe substitutions, you can have all your favorites without fear of looking like Santa Claus come New Years!

The Basics

If you reach for box mixes, ready made dough, or even grocery store bakery treats then tune into this: healthier CAN be easier! Any box of cake mix can be combined with just 1 can of pumpkin for all the same texture and flavor minus added fats from butter and oil. If you want a treat with even fewer calories, combine 1 box of cake mix with 12 ounces of any regular or diet soda and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. And don’t think we forgot about the toppings. Melt dark chocolate and mix it with plain Greek yogurt, chill it in the fridge, and frost away!

Step up Your Sweets

Baking is a science. It is possible to make virtually any recipe healthier if you know what foods to swap. One of the most versatile ingredients out there is plain Greek yogurt (low or non-fat) since it can replace butter, eggs, oil, cream, or milk and acts as a binding agent that helps other ingredients bind together. Sugar has a bad reputation, because it spikes glucose levels in your blood causing the familiar “sugar rush, sugar crash” phenomenon. Try adding agave nectar, honey, or a natural calorie free sweetener to your batter. All have a lower glycemic index than sugar, but will make your goodies just as sweet. If you are unsure of amounts for substitutions, check the label or the company’s website for instructions.

Special Diet Savant

People with food allergies or special diets require extra planning. If you know your aunt is gluten free but has a sweet tooth, then here’s your holiday miracle. Gluten, like Greek yogurt mentioned above, acts as a binding agent and isn’t necessary for baking. To make gluten-free cookies, use gluten-free flour (available in most food stores) and leave out any additional wheat products or oats that the recipe may call for. The texture of your cookies may be different than usual but feel free to add yogurt to get a creamier batter.

So when you’re sitting by the fire enjoy not only the comfort that comes with one of your homemade goodies, but the peace of mind you get from the health factor. There are plenty of ways to mix things up–discover a world of baking and cooking possibilities on the Internet, cookbooks, or magazines. Give you and your family the gift of a happy, healthy holiday season.