Get In Gear: Little Five 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

The high-pitched whir of bike spokes has long been synonymous with April here at DePauw.  In a month known for its rain showers and practical jokes, DePauw adds one more factor to the list: Little Five.  Specially designed t-shirts and tank tops make their debut, all brightly colored and sporting some sort of race or bicycle theme.  Sheet signs flutter and flap in the spring wind, advertising specific teams and slogans.  Parties commemorate the beginning of Little Five week, the middle of Little Five week, and the finale of Little Five week.  The campus is energized—Little Five represents the end of winter and a rainy transition to spring.  It’s the physical rejuvenation of an entire student body.

While Monday marked the unofficial start of Little Five excitement and celebration, the week of racing begins on Tuesday.  The Time Trials start at the Dixie Chopper, where a long, hilly entrance drive serves as a track.  All bikers will race for the best time and the chance to compete in the Street Sprints.  After a holding start, participants will pump their pedals into a right turn just a short distance away.  Once they clear the turn they must continue through the short dips and rises in the road until they reach the speck in the distance that marks the finish line.  By the time that speck becomes an obtainable goal their legs and lungs will burn from the effort of reaching it.  So, if you’re not doing anything at 5:00 p.m. when the women begin or 6:00 p.m. when the men begin, take a trip off campus to support the riders.  A familiar face—or any encouragement, really—makes a world of difference in this solo ride.

Don’t expect to see many of these racers out and about on weeknights; Wednesday and Thursday will be spent preparing for the Street Sprints on Friday beginning at 5:00 p.m.  Riders who placed during the Time Trial will be paired up for a one-on-one showdown.  Competitors will size each other up as they clip in directly next to each other and wait for the start signal.  Along with the clicking of their own gears shifting, they will hear the spinning of their opponents spokes, either next to them, in front of them, or, hopefully, behind them.  It’s one and done: each winner will continue on to face another opponent until there is a final Street Sprint winner.

It has become customary to make our way to the football field to view the final event of race week: the Little Five Criterium.  (That is, if you make it past Tour de Franzia at Sigma Chi beforehand.)  This year, however, students and spectators will congregate around Julian and Lilly instead of the usual trek to Blackstock Stadium.  This change to the course of the final race offers a different view and feel to Little Five, as well as a return to old traditions.  We grew accustomed to watching bikers jostle for position—and in last year’s case, crash and burn—on the red surfaced track surrounding the football field.  This year, the race will circle the Julian Science and Math Center and the Lilly Fitness Center.  The race used to be held on campus streets but moved because of construction.  Construction no longer exists around Julian, and the race will return to its old home on the blacktopped streets of DePauw.  The different track will change things up not only for riders but for spectators as well.   The race will be more spread out—which means more anticipation for fans awaiting the appearance of their favorite team.  Don’t miss the women at 2:30 p.m. or the men at 4:00.

Whether you love Little Five for the celebration or the race itself, it can’t be denied that it is a tradition on campus.  A breath of fresh air before the final stretch of the semester.  A chance to celebrate the coming of spring.  An opportunity for cyclers to show that there is more to the sport than Lance Armstrong.  Whatever you like about it, Little Five 2011 is here, so get out and enjoy it!

Katie Tangri is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, studying Communication and Sociology. She is a member of the Alpha chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta, a speaking and listening consultant and the Vice President of Program for Panhellenic Council. Her interests include shopping, baking and reading. She hopes to get a job at a non-profit organization upon graduation.