6 Tips for Your Best Semester Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Bad news: It’s early October in Greencastle and most of us have already had papers and tests. Already, I catch myself feeling overwhelmed and on an academic treadmill of level 10 when I can only run at level 7.5.  Good news: It’s early October in Greencastle! This means that there is still plenty of time to make Fall 2013 the best semester of DePauw yet. Here are six tips to being able to run on that academic treadmill at level 10 without getting winded.

1.  Get a Planner.

However old fashioned this may seem, writing a task on paper actually reminds you do them.  There is just no way that any DePauw student can keep all that they have to do in their mind. I have remembered many a meeting simply because of my planner. Also with all of these cute patterned planners out- you can organize in style. Investing in a good planner is key to rocking it out at DePauw.

2. Go to Office Hours.

Yes, it might be awkward. Yes, you might be afraid of sounding dumb. But here’s a secret about DePauw professors- we are not just numbers to them, we are people that they care about.  Going into a professor’s office not only shows that you care, but allows them to form a more personal relationship with you. Not only that, but our school is known for the great professor to student ratio. Professors say that they do their BEST teaching when one on one. So why not go and experience one of the reasons students come to DePauw?

3.  Find YOUR study spot.

This is the best advice I have ever gotten at DePauw. Find where you work best and go there. First floor Julian and I only get along when I don’t have a lot to do. Roy O. West is my place. Despite the ugly fluorescent lighting, drafty windows and ugly chairs- I feel a sense of productivity there. Maybe its because I’m working fast so I can leave as soon as possible but I get the most done there. But whenever I get the chance, I go to Prindle, the most peaceful study spot I’ve found. Find a spot that works for you and go there.  Just go and get work done.

4. Create a Balance

The recent press from The Princeton Review makes DePauw sound like a party school to end all party schools. But ask a junior or senior and they’ll tell you the real truth: DePauw works hard and plays hard. Going to the library on a Friday night is not THAT outlandish. Neither is staying in during the week because you want to catch up on sleep that those 8 ams rob you of. Creating your own balance at DePauw is key to your success here. If you cannot go out three nights a week and keep your grades up- know that and stay in. This campus is full of incredibly intelligent people who have found their own balance. So find yours.

5.  Dress Well Test Well

Sounds silly, I know. But there have actually been studies on the affects of appearance on test scores. Take it for what it’s worth but I know that I feel more confident in myself when wearing a killer outfit as opposed to running shorts.

6. HAVE SOME CONFIDENCE

This tip might be the hardest one. But have some confidence ladies! You were chosen out of thousands of applicants to attend DePauw. You can handle this. You is smart, you is kind, you is important (wise words from “The Help”). 

Hi I'm Colleen Whiting! Current sophomore at DePauw University, majoring in Political Science. I'm a lover of late night Marvins, football games, nature park walks, and instagrammed pictures of East College. I love HerCampus and writing about things that DePauw students (mainly girls) can relate too.
Rose Overbey

DePauw '20