3 Brands that are Empowering Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Gender inequality continues to be prevalent in society today. Women are continually given less job opportunities, less pay and treated as less than equal to men. These three incredible brands are empowering women by providing economic opportunity they otherwise would not have been able to attain. 

1. Thrifty One Bits

Thirty One Bits is a jewelry brand with a mission to use fashion and design to empower women to rise above poverty. The brand works with women in Uganda to create the jewelry; providing a program where the women are given an income, counseling, health education, finance training and business mentorships.

Their beads are made from recycled paper and 99% of their materials are sourced in Eastern Africa; therefore the brand also supports local markets. Check out their website for an abundance of beautifully handcrafted pieces and make a purchase knowing that you are empowering women in Uganda. 

2. Fashionable

Fashionable is brand that sells beautiful leather goods, jewelry, scarves, home goods and more! Fashionable’s carefully crafted products are often created by women who have overcome battles of their own, including homelessness, addiction and depression.

Their mission is to create jobs for women in poverty. Fashionable believes that in order to stop generational poverty, we have to create job opportunities for the poor, not just give them charity. They do this by purchasing and manufacturing their goods in the places that they wish to help, thus helping the businesses and creating jobs in the impoverished communities.

3. Krochet Kids

Krochet Kids is a clothing and accessory brand for women, men and kids. The brand’s mission is to “empower the women of Northern Uganda and Peru with the assets, skills and knowledge to lift themselves and their families out of poverty.” Krochet Kids provides women with jobs, education and mentorship to positively impact their families, communities and the developing world.

The brand also goes above and beyond with a monitoring and evaluation system that measures empowerment indicators each month. Through this system they have found that the women in the program are 40% less likely to be abused, are 25% more likely to participate in major family decisions and their children are 8x more likely to attend high school. Purchase a product from this remarkable brand knowing that you are helping empower women in so many incredibly influential ways. 

Freshman at DePauw! Hometown: Oxford, OH. Currently undecided in major. Style Blog Writer. Tiger Ambassador. Loves anything to do with fashion, the ocean, popsicles, and football!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.