20 Lessons I Learned During My First Year at DePauw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
With a little less than a week left of my first year, I have been doing some reflecting on the past two semesters. People weren’t kidding when they said college would be a transition. There were ups and downs, and I am definitely a different person than I was in August. My year was filled with lessons that helped me conquer freshman year. Some lessons came from thoughtful advice. Some are simple life hacks. Some were passed down to me from the awesome people I met; while others I figured out on my own. I hope you incoming freshmen find it helpful. Don’t let the stress of first year hide how wonderful college is, especially DePauw!

1. It is okay to do things alone.

2. Bouncing off that, it is okay to want to be alone. Give yourself some “me time.”

3. Just because the dryer says so doesn’t mean you don’t need to leave you laundry in the whole 60 minutes, especially if it is a small load.

4. College does not magically make everyone more mature.

5. Don’t compare yourself to upperclassmen in your classes.

6. Take advantage of professors’ office hours!

7. Everything at DePauw has a nickname or acronym–learn them.

8. It is okay to miss home.

9. The freshman 15 is real. Very real…

10. It is okay to try new things and not like them.

11. Don’t be afraid to find other places to study than just your room or the library.

12. Utilize the things you are already paying for–the gym, the wellness center, the library, the writing center, etc.

13. Your planner is your best friend,

14. You may not be the top student anymore like high school, but that’s okay.

15. Appreciate the tiny wins.

16. Check your email regularly. By regularly, I mean every few hours.

17. Not everyone parties so don’t feel like you have to go out.

18. You are not the only first-year to be confused about life.

19. If you are tired of dining hall food, try the Duck or Two West.

20. Times flies…before you know it your first year will be over.
Hi I'm Audrey! I'm from Indianapolis and I am a First-Year student at the lovely DePauw University. I'm a psychology major with a passion for working with kids. Along with writing, I enjoy yoga, reading, coffee, messy buns and cozy socks. 
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.