Jerica Arents, Adjunct Professor in Peace, Justice and Conflict Studies Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Jerica Arents

Professor in Peace, Justice, Conflict Studies Program

5th year at DePaul

Focus on activism and social movements

Side work for grassroots movements

HC: What differentiates an adjunct professor from other professors?

JA: The contingent (interchangeable with adjunct) faculty is made up of faculty who are usually on a semester- or quarter-long contract. Sometimes there are year-long appointments, which means you are guaranteed a year of classes. A few are lucky to get a 3-year contract, but at DePaul, most contracts are per quarter.

With full time associate/tenure track professors, there is a deep commitment to the University. They are offered benefits and supported in their research. The problem is that not that many full time positions aren’t available anymore in higher education; 70% of faculty nationwide is comprised of contingent faculty. The system is set up so that these higher education institutions will not make a commitment on a specific person and instead rely on these short-term contracts. This is an extension of neo-liberal policies in higher education in which they are making the most money off of the teachers by offering professors a flat rate. DePaul does offer health care benefits to professors. To get that, they must teach 6 courses in 2 years and they will then qualify for health care their 3rd year of teaching.

HC: Why are adjunct professors unionizing? What are they asking for?

JA: Much of the conversation in the unionizing movement is around pay. Adjunct professors work as much as associate professors, yet they receive 1/3 of the salary, which is unjust and unequal.

The movement is a call for a transformation of the larger system. These are people who go to school for a long time and absolutely love teaching. Yet the higher education system is pushing teachers to other work because they can’t get paid a living wage in order to not leave academia and not have to run around to different universities to teach other courses or for a second job. It’s about our skills not being used in the best way. I want to give everything I have to the students of DePaul. Currently I earn $4,000 per class and I teach 7 classes a year. Before taxes, that’s  $28,000. That’s really limiting.

The central group that suffers is the students. If I were to be paid a living wage and am given an office that I don’t share with 5 other professors, I would be able to support students more outside of the classroom. But instead, I am not getting paid for all the extra time devoted. Other teachers are unavailable to students because they’re trying to pay their bills by running to another university to teach classes there.

We as adjuncts aim to build power and voice to say that we are in some ways a highly specialized and highly educated group of people who are being told that we can be thrown away. What builds a solid community is when work is valued and cherished and meaningful.

HC: How is the greater Chicago area involved?

JA: Faculty Forward, a union organization stemming from the Service Employees International Union, has won contracts at Loyola University and University of Chicago. Loyola voted yes for the union and will now enter negotiations, which will probably take about 2 years. The campaign is focused on organizing a large bargaining unit encompassing all contingent faculty on campus.

HC: What is the pushback from the University? Why is there a pushback?

JA: DePaul’s rhetoric is likely to include faith-based language. Saying things like ‘we are a family’, ‘if they have a problem they should come to us’— friendly and soft language. DePaul’s opposition to the unions goes against the Catholic Church, which has been pro-union for centuries, so it is interesting that they use anti-union rhetoric. Historically, labor unions have been the backing of the middle class and the mechanims to bring grievances to those who are responsible—to the power holders.

My critique is not of DePaul, but of the system of higher education, because we are compromising the education given to students by not valuing teachers. DePaul actually pays better than most other schools in Chicago and offers health care benefits. Father Holtschneider is very open to having a conversation and hearing perspectives. This movement is about the larger system that is creating a disposable workforce.

DePaul could take a public stance of supporting the unionizing professors, which would change the conversation on a national level of supporting professors as a skilled workforce.

HC: What is the timeline of this movement at DePaul?

JA: Right now the movement is not public. Union authorization cards have not been given out yet. Eventually, faculty will be voting on whether they want the union at DePaul to be nationally recognized. This all depends on factors such as the bargaining unit number, influences on union votes, and contract negotiations. We are asking for a system where adjuncts don’t have to worry about not getting classes all of a sudden, a health care option that supports healthy living, and livable wages. It can take years to negotiate that, so it might be a while until we see this system progress.

HC: What can we as students do to support the unionizing professors?

JA: When the campaign goes public, students can ask questions. See if they have professors who are contingent faculty and get their view on it and what they think. There will be opportunities to show up for events/actions, such as rallies, to support the union. The most important thing to do is to gather information and recognize that professors are not fairly compensated. It’s an interesting question to consider—is there a responsibility for students to make their college a more just and fair place to work?