Georgia Makely ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.
Mark my word, one day Georgia Makely is going to have it all. Not only does she have impeccable taste when it comes to fashion, but she’s also in the midst of releasing a pilot episode for her new web series, The Front Row. The Front Row will be the new obsession of anyone who loves the high profile life of the elite and the drama that comes with it. Read on to see more about what Georgia is involved in, and her take on everything fabulous.  

Year in School: Junior

Activities Involved In: Too many outside of school to be in any, unfortunately! 

What do you hope to do after graduation? The beauty of college is being able to try it all! I started out working in fashion but through DePaul’s Digital Cinema program, I discovered a passion for the film industry. I’m hopefully starting an internship in the spring with a local talent agency, and I would love to work in talent management. I also love screenwriting and hope to pursue that as well.

How’d you get started in the fashion industry? I always wanted to work in fashion, and recognizing that it is an impossible industry to get into, I sought out an internship with a San Francisco based stylist as a sophomore in High School. It was the most incredible job for a sixteen year old! The stylist then brought me on to work at The RealReal.com and the rest is history.

Where do you get your inspiration? I get a lot of my inspiration from the city of Chicago! It has an incredible array of amazing resources that are not utilized, so I wanted to try to make use of them all and bring attention back to our city. What are a few pieces you think everyone should have in their closet? I always recommend a great black dress, because I’m a huge supporter of the simple yet elegant look. An investment bag is my favorite closet staple because you can wear it everyday. You’ll really get the most out of your money and it’ll be great quality so you’ll have it forever.

Who do you look up to in the fashion industry? I would say my current fashion idol is Miroslava Duma. I not only obsess over her sense of style, but I’m so inspired by her ability to run this digital empire in Russia. The empire is called Buro 24/7, and she’s maintaining her business while simultaneously acting as a fashion icon. 

What made you want to start your web series? The real answer to this question is because I’m selfish! I wanted a great television show to replace my favorite programs that had ended like Sex and the City, Gossip Girl, and 90210. Nothing quite fills that demographic on television right now and those shows are my guilty pleasure. As a digital cinema student and fashion enthusiast, I decided to combine my two loves and create a web series. That’s where The Front Row began.

Did you execute this project by yourself or did you enlist others to help? Yes and no! I have an incredible support system behind me, like Alex Moresco of StreetStyleChi who did all of the styling for the show, getting amazing local designers to work with us, and Frankie De Guzman of StyleThroughMyEyes to do a lot of the photography, as well as support from local businesses and stores like BAR Entertainment, Francis Son, and Purely Pop Up.  However, I didn’t know much about how to put together a pilot when I started. I really had to act as the producer, the director, the casting director, the set designer, etc. I did end up luckily finding a great crew and an incredible cast to help me put this thing together, and now we’re like a little family!

What advice do you have for others who want to start their own project? Just go for it! I had the thought to start a web series and later that night I had already hired a DePaul alumnae Gabby Plante to write the pilot. I wouldn’t let myself give up. The worst that can happen is that you’ve gained a new experience and learned something from it. Reach out to fellow students. There are so many talented people around you at all times, and they usually they want to start a new project too. You can create something amazing together!

When will the pilot for your web series go live? We will be launching a Kickstarter campaign at the end of January and we will be posting it on Youtube. We created the entire pilot without a budget, working on the generosity of fellow Chicagoans, so we’re hoping to raise funds to finish the rest of the season via Kickstarter. Check out our Facebook page for updates and episodes, as well as a link to the campaign!

Where are you most likely to be spotted on campus? The place you’d most likely see me on campus is on the Red Line! I’m always shuttling back and forth to the Loop campus for film classes and Gold Coast where I live. Usually with headphones in, trying to dream up inspiration for the show!

Make sure to follow The Front Row on every form of social media like I do!

Ellyse is the Founding President and Editor-in-Chief of the DePaul University branch of Her Campus. She is currently a senior studying Public Relations and Advertising. Ellyse is originally from the Chicago suburbs and loves spending her college career enjoying all that the city has to offer. In addition to Her Campus, Ellyse is also a member of Delta Gamma. She hopes to one day work in either public relations or event planning and to one day own her own business. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, spending time with friends, catching up on blogs, quoting movies like it’s her job, pinning for hours and working out.