yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Fall Reads For Every Myers-Briggs Personality Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

For me, autumn and reading are almost synonyms. Something about the crisp weather, the nostalgic feeling, and the start of the school year just make me want to cozy up with a cup of tea and a good book. But not just any book will do; fall is the time for darker books, magical books, thrillers, and anything that gives us those Halloween vibes. Therefore, I have put together a list of books that I think are fall-tastic options for each Myers-Briggs personality type. If you don’t already know your Myers-Briggs personality type, click here to take the test.

INTJ

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

For my fellow INTJ’s, I chose this YA novel involving a fight to the death among triplet sisters vying for the royal crown. There’s magic, political drama, and plenty of suspense. It’s everything an intellectual and strategic INTJ could want.

INTP

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

This classic about an ambitious scientist and his experiment-gone-wrong is perfect for the curious and innovative INTP.

ENTJ

#GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso

This memoir written by the CEO and creator of Nasty Gal is the perfect pick for the most #girlboss MB personality type. ENTJ’s are bold, confident and determined, just like author Sophia Amoruso! And once you’re done reading this, there is a Netflix Original show to binge.

ENTP

Lexicon by Max Berry

This novel takes place at an unorthodox, exclusive school in which words are believed to be as dangerous as weapons, and persuasion is valued above all. ENTP’s are known for their love of debate and intellectual challenge, and that is why this novel is a perfect choice.

INFJ

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

This psychological thriller follows the main character as he finds himself in a parallel life that he has no recollection of. He must channel INFJ’s to be strong and willing to fight to figure out which reality is the real one.

INFP

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

This New York Times bestseller is written by the same author of Coraline and follows a young boy raised in a graveyard by ghosts. This imaginative murder mystery is perfect for moral and idealistic INFP’s.

ENFJ

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

This novel centers around a hypnotic carnival that rolls into a small Illinois town and will entertain and resonate with charismatic ENFJ’s.

ENFP

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

This well-known favorite is full of adventure and lovable characters and will appeal to the free-spirited ENFP.

ISTJ

Night Film by Marisha Pessl

This murder mystery surrounds the shocking death of a horror film-maker’s daughter and will intrigue fact-loving, problem-solving ISTJ’s.

ISFJ

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

This short, spooky read follows the Blackwoods after a mysterious poisoning that killed half of their family. ISFJ’s with be able to identify with caring and protective main character, Merricat Blackwood.

ESTJ

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes

This unique (almost) murder mystery follows Kirby Mazrachi as she attempts to catch the serial killer who tried to add her to his long list of murders. ESTJ’s who value honesty and order will love this quest for justice.

ESFJ

Rooms by Lauren Oliver

Author of Before I Fall, brings you this unique ghost story about estranged family members that arrive home for their inheritance only to be observed and judged by the ghosts trapped in the house. This is a great option for a people-person ESFJ that will love learning about the many, unique characters presented in the book.

ISTP

Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova

This magical novel follows a powerful, young bruja (witch) that rejects her magic and attempts to rid herself of it. She must then deal with the drastic consequences as her spell backfires. Bold and experimental ISTP’s will identify with the main character, Alex, as she takes matters into her own hands in order to right her wrongs.

ISFP

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Another Neil Gaiman novel about a parallel universe lying underneath London is perfect for open-minded and adventurous ISFP’s.

ESTP

The Shining by Stephen King

This well-known, Stephen King horror novel is the perfect challenge for the charming and detail-oriented ESTP. Plus, Jack Nicholson (star of The Shining movie) is also an ESTP!

ESFP

Dracula by Bram Stoker

This well-known classic is the perfect Halloween read, and this dramatic, gothic romance will keep easily-bored ESFP’s entertained from beginning to end.

If you have been looking for the perfect fall read, you are all set, because all 16 of these suggestions are wonderful options, no matter your Myers-Briggs personality type. This wide variety of options offers something for everyone. Go ahead and get your read on collegiettes!

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.