This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Top 5 Tips for Studying Abroad – Shelby Kaplan ‘15

5. Find a compatible travel companion

When you’re out and about in a new country, it is best to use the buddy system.  Not only is this a matter of your safety and well-being, but also a way to share your experience directly with someone.  I recommend finding a friend that you feel comfortable travelling as your plus one.  This is not to say that you need someone to drag around, but find someone with similar travel interests, habits and stress levels.  You always need to be prepared for the worst case scenario when travelling and it is really comforting to have someone you can count on in high stress situations.  

4. Document your Adventures

A great way to remember your journey is by documenting it.  This could be done by taking a camera, writing in a journal or starting a travel blog.  Having some sort of proof of your time abroad is not only great for your friends and family to stay connected back home, but it is nice to look back on all the things you have done.  Your adventures may be really clear in your mind in the moment, but making a record will help you relive those memories forever!  It is important though not to let this overshadow living in the moment.  Make sure you spend more time experiencing than documenting.   

3. Branch out

One of the biggest difficulties of studying abroad is fully immersing in the culture.  It becomes all too easy to get attached to your study abroad group and avoiding going out and meeting locals.  Step out of your comfort zone and introduce yourself to new people!  You will make more connections than you could ever imagine, but you have to make that first move and give people a chance.  Even if you feel insecure about speaking a foreign language, people will probably still appreciate that you are trying.

2. Be Selfish: This is YOUR Experience

You are about to embark on one of the greatest adventures of your life, but you have to remember about those that you are leaving behind.  Try to keep in contact with your family/friends/significant other to maintain connections back home.  Make a game plan before you leave by figuring out the time difference, internet expenses and each other’s schedules.  Although it’s ok to periodically fill everyone in on your trip, don’t let anyone back home influence your study abroad experience.  Avoid letting communication to get excessive or take away from time you could be spending exploring.  Rest assured you will stay close with those that matter no matter what.  For those that really care about you, the distance won’t make a difference.  

1.Always Say “YES”

Within safe and legal limits, embrace each opportunity that comes your way.  Whether it is an extreme activity or a questionable food whose name you will never be able to pronounce, give everything a try!  It is up to you to create life long memories during this trip, so make the most of them.  Hesitation and refusal to new experiences will lead to regret, so keep an open mind and if nothing else you’ll come back with some interesting and crazy stories.

I'm a double major in Chemistry and Environmental Studies at Denison University. I'm currently the Philanthropy Assistant for the Delta Chi chapter of Delta Delta Delta, work in the ENVS department and volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters.
I'm a sophomore at Denison University from Boca Raton, Florida. I'm a psychology major and when I'm not studying, you can find me walking around campus trying to figure out what to do with this freezing Ohio weather, playing tennis with friends, or just looking for someone fun to talk to!