Meet Haley Butters!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Not only is she a student-athlete, on the women’s volleyball team, but she started DUSCS, the Denison University Student Cheering Section this year as a freshman!

She has a passion for sports, especially the Big Red, and has shared a few fun facts about herself, as well as more about this awesome committee:

Hometown: Durham, North Carolina

Major: Women’s studies & Soc/Anth, minor in Spanish

Favorite study spot:

My grandma’s house– she lives on Broadway so any time I need to get a lot done, I walk down the hill for snacks & studying!

Favorite sports team:

I grew up in Durham and was born into a Duke family; my grandfather, Tom Butters, was the man who hired Mike Kryzyzewski (head coach at Duke), so the Devils have always been my team!

Campus Involvement:

I do Relay for Life, I am on DSAAC, I go to Encounter each month, I do Big Brothers Big Sisters, I play volleyball, and I do club bowling (my average score is around a 27). I am always looking for ways to get involved!

Inspiration to start this spirit committee:

I was inspired to start this… I don’t even know what to call it– it’s so much more than just a cheering section– because of my background in sports. The Cameron Crazies have won Naismith Student Section of the Year multiple times, so you can imagine the atmosphere there. When I arrived at Denison, I guess I was falsely expecting the same thing, but this was certainly not the case. I play volleyball here, and there were always more fans for the opposing team at home games then there were for us. It was honestly embarrassing, and it wasn’t just volleyball that it neglected by the student body. Since we are a Division III school, people don’t care as much about athletes, but we actually have many athletes (including girls on my team) who are nationally ranked. I decided to change that apathetic mentality with this group.

We actually had our first attempt at bringing everyone together this past Tuesday at the first round of the women’s NCAC basketball championship. By the second quarter, nearly everyone sitting in the section was standing and cheering. It was absolutely amazing.

Plans for the future of this committee:

I have many plans for the future! Tailgates for football games (Cornhole is an obvious must), halftime shows, various promotions, t-shirts, and more! I have such high hopes for the future of this group.

If you were trapped on a deserted island and could only take three things, what would they be?

I’d bring the male version of Cathy who works in Curtis, an unlimited supply of mountain dew, and my keurig.

Make sure you check out the DUSCS facebook page, and come out to support the Big Red!!

Upcoming games:

Friday 2/22: Indoor Track & Field Last Chance Meet @ 5pm

Saturday 2/23: Women’s Lacrosse @ 2pm vs. Thiel

Sunday 2/24: Men’s Lacrosse @ 1pm vs. Washington and Lee

Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.