Home for the Summer: What should I do?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

There comes a certain point in every student’s time at school where we think, “I never want to leave this place.”  We get so wrapped up in class, friends, parties, and clubs that we forget that in a few short months, summer will arrive.  Summer in high school was the best thing that happened all year: summer in college, not so much.  As a freshman, I have gotten very used to being on my own.  I never have to tell my parents where I’m going for the night or have a certain time that I need to be home by, but that’s all about to change.  When I was home for winter break, I got a little taste what this summer is going to be like and to be honest, I am a little nervous as to how I’m going to handle my parents being in my every day life again.  Not only that but, will spending all my time with my high school friends feel different? How am I going to stay in touch with my college friends?  These are all questions that I have been obsessing over the past few weeks; however, I realized that there are ways to make the transition home easier.

How to deal with your parents:

Your parents love you; so know that they will only continually bother you with questions out of genuine care.  It’s inevitable that they will want to know where you are going when you leave the house, so let them know.  As annoying as it may be, they have the right to know where you are as long as you are living under their roof and ultimately, it’s not like they’re not going to let you go, they know that you’re technically an adult now.  As long as you don’t take advantage of their trust, they will always give it to you.

How to reconnect with your high school friends:

Although you have been texting, calling, and skyping your closest friends all year, it may be a little weird hanging out with them again when you’ve spent the entire year apart.  When I’m talking to a friend from home, I sometimes find it strange when she starts talking about her friends at school and I’m sure she feels the same way when I start talking about my friends at school as well.  It’s odd to think that you only used to be friends with each other; however, since you were such good friends before, you will have no problem falling back into your same patterns. Make sure you listen and make an effort to try to understand their lives at school and they will do the same for you.

How to stay in touch with your college friends:

To go from living with these people and seeing them every day to not seeing them at all is a big adjustment.  It will be hard to not meet them for dinner every night or talk to them about the boy they tried to set you up with but this all leads to more reasons to road trip! Your college friends live all over and what better way to see them than to take off for the weekend and see where they’re from.  Buy a plane or train ticket, save up gas money and go. Looking forward to a planned weekend together will make your summer fly by and before you know it, you’ll be living with them on campus again!

Although right now it may seem like this summer is going to drag on, it won’t.  I am starting to realize that the time away from Denison will be good.  I can spend time with my family, catch up with my old friends, travel to new places to see new friends and in the end; I know I will be coming back to Granville in the fall.  

Ellie is a member of the class of 2016 at Denison University.  She is an English major with an emphasis on Creative Writing and a Psychology minor.  From a suburb of Detroit called Beverly Hills, Ellie loves coffee, chocolate, J.Crew, and spends too much time on Buzzfeed.  Along with writing for Her Campus, Ellie is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity at Denison. When she's not writing for class or Her Campus, you can find her re-watching The Hills episodes.
Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.