Having A Bad Day? Quick Ways to Turn that Frown Upside Down!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Bad days, we all have them. Maybe it’s the day you woke up 10 minutes after your alarm and have to attend class without deodorant, or maybe it’s the day when your teacher completely rips apart your all-nighter essay.  Even worse, maybe it’s the day you decided to do homework in the library, only to realize you forgot your headphones and your swipe card in your dorm a mile away and are doomed to be hungry and music-less for hours.  Especially during finals crunch time, bad days can easily turn into a bad week. Before you freak out and ruin your entire day, stop your bad mood in its tracks! Here are some tips to help put you in a better mood and change your bad day into a good one. 

1. Plug in your headphones and lose yourself. Blast your favorite song on repeat or put on the Disney Pandora station (one of my personal favorites) and just rock out. If you are in your room, a dance party really does wonders for your mood. Have you ever seen anyone frown after a dance party? Nope. 

2. Clothes affect mood. Use this knowledge accordingly. You can put on a cute, clean outfit if you are feeling scrubby or unattractive. A cute outfit will increase your confidence, which will alter your mood. You can also put on a pair of sweatpants if you have had a long day. Everyone knows how nice sweatpants feel after a long day of flats, or tight jeans. 

3. Go on YouTube. There are some ridiculous videos on YouTube that will make you giggle until you cant anymore (I personally like anything Jenna Marbles.) Laughter is the best medicine. 

4. Go study or hang out in a well-lit or brightly colored place! It will instantly energize you, which could get you through a “blah” day. 

5. Eat! Fruits, especially citrus, will instantly put you in a better mood.  Or treat yourself to some chocolate! 

6. Ask yourself: Will whatever is upsetting you matter in 10 years? The answer is probably no. Too often, the smallest of things have the power to ruin our entire day. Look at the big picture of life. When you remember how short life is, and how insignificant little things are in comparison, it really helps you put everything into perspective and keep moving forward with your day.

7. Make a list for everything you are grateful for as well as a list of all of your good qualities. Your life is awesome, and so are YOU! This bad day won’t bring you down.
Sally Maxwell is a senior at Denison University and will be graduating in the Spring of 2012. She is a Communications major and Spanish minor and very involved on campus. She is the Vice President of Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish Honor Society) and the Alumnae Chair for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. She plans to pursue a career in Public Relations or marketing and advertising, hopefully in a big city somewhere. Being born and raised in Ohio, she is ready for the big city life after college! She loves her yellow labrador, Beau, and spending time with friends. She strongly believes that everything happens for a reason and she is ready for whatever life has to offer her!