5 Ways to De-Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Believe it or not, the semester is quickly approaching mid terms. All of the sudden,  your weeks are extremely busy. Running from class to lunch to meetings to social events, your life is hectic! In a college environment, it’s easy to get stressed out, but you have to remember to take some time to yourself too! Here are some ways to de-stress your life!

1. Exercise

Okay, we know this isn’t always high on your to do list, but it should be! Exercise not only keeps you healthy, but it is also proven to help you reduce your stress. When working or meeting with others, we’re always sitting. Getting your heart rate up, and getting your blood flowing will help you manage your crazy schedule in a calm manner. Run, walk, bike, or lift weights! All of these will contribute to a healthy, less stressed lifestyle!

2. Write It Down!

Get a planner and write everything down! Even if this means writing down when to eat and shower, planning out your day will lower your stress level. Planners help you take tasks one day at a time. Each day, only focus on what you wrote down for that day and check it off as you go. This will not only help you feel like you accomplished something, but the checking off will feel like pure bliss.

3. Make Time for your Favorite TV Show

It’s easy to forget about things we like to do when we’re stressed, but dedication one or two nights a week to watching your favorite TV shows with friends is worth remembering. Watch The Bachelor on Mondays or Scandal on Thursdays, pop some popcorn and enjoy 1-2 hours of relaxation. You deserve it!

4. Talk It Out

If you’re like me, you probably like to hide out when you’re stressed. You avoid friends, ignore your mom’s phone calls, and become a complete hermit. Don’t do this! Talking about what is stressing you out is healthy and productive to your mental health. Whether you talk to a friend or your mom or dad, you’ll instantly feel less stressed just knowing that they understand and want to help.

5. Ignore The Little Things

That annoying girl in your class? That boy who isn’t texting you back? Push it all out! No need to stress about things that don’t affect who you are and where you are going. While this little things can be frustrating, they’re not worth your time or energy. Forget it, move on, do you!

Ellie is a member of the class of 2016 at Denison University.  She is an English major with an emphasis on Creative Writing and a Psychology minor.  From a suburb of Detroit called Beverly Hills, Ellie loves coffee, chocolate, J.Crew, and spends too much time on Buzzfeed.  Along with writing for Her Campus, Ellie is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity at Denison. When she's not writing for class or Her Campus, you can find her re-watching The Hills episodes.