You’re a Model Too: How to Wear (and Work) High Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

New York Fashion Week gives us a lot of sartorial wisdom.  These looks can be hard to pull off sometimes, but never fear!  Here’s a collegiette’s guide to the most translatable looks from this year’s catwalks.

1. For tricky weather days:

Sometimes you don’t know whether you want to wear jeans or shorts… long sleeves or short sleeves.  The weather is so iffy and changes so drastically from that chilly morning class to your afternoon seminar.  Here’s a look that’s got you covered.  With a nice breeze allowed in strategic places, bare arms, and a vest made of animal skin, you will be at the perfect temperature all day long.  You will also probably get a lovely tan line.  Bonus points for Rusk members: wear this to House Meeting!

2. For an interview:

You’ll stand apart from the competition in this business-attire ensemble.  Right on trend with the peplum, you’ll look very chic by wearing it around your knees and taking baby bird steps into the office.  And you won’t have to worry about rolling up your sleeves either, this shirt just holds them there for you!  Of course, don’t forget to remove your chapeaux before going inside, you wouldn’t want to be rude while making a first impression.

3. For the beach:

You won’t need to worry about looking tan, gold has a way of bronzing any skin tone! As the metal burns you’ll be hot enough to want a swim, and with your hair done in such a way, you’ll have a towel handy whenever you want.

4.  For a day of shopping:

You won’t need a shopping bag when you ARE the shopping bag.  These undergarments will let you try on anything without having to wait in line for a dressing room.  Just take off your plastic and see how your options look in the middle of the store- no scandal necessary!

5.  For a long class:

You’ll fit perfectly in the chair–rectangular hips, meet rectangular seat–and then NO fidgeting.  I know.  It’s a magic formula.  The glasses will help you focus on your notes and on the board; I’ve even heard they have magical powers that let you focus on both at the same time!  All of the pockets mean you don’t need to carry a backpack, everything can fit in the pockets.  If you get chilly, unsnap your shorts and use it as a blanket.  

So there you go.  When people say high fashion can’t be taken from catwalk to campus, you can tell them they are wrong and strut your hot, on-trend stuff that much harder.

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.