Your Guide to Wearing a Bold Lip This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

We’ve already looked at some of Fall 2016’s most popular trends; now it’s time to shift gears to the beauty side of things. Have you ever wanted to wear a bold lip look, but didn’t know where or how to start? Good news for you: I have all the tips and tricks you need right here, so let’s not waste time!

1. The key to wearing any lipstick well is starting with exfoliated and moisturized lips. Your lipstick will apply easier and last longer if you buff away the dead skin cells first. Afterward, apply a light lip balm. (You don’t want it to be too heavy or your lipstick will slip and slide.) Voila, your lips are prepped and ready to go! 

Some of my favorite lip scrubs/balms: Lush Lip Scrubs, Elf Lip Exfoliator, and the real OG, Maybelline Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Balm. 

2. Next, for a look that will last literally all night, use a lip liner that’s the same color as your lipstick. Here’s a handy visual: 

3. Now you’re ready for the piéce de resistance, LIPSTICK! Here are some of my favorite fall colors, just for inspiration: NYX Cosmetics Soft Matte Lip Cream in Transylvania and Macaron Lippie in Chambord and NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella.

4. Now for some special tips: Use a lip brush to create super defined lines OR, apply with your fingertips for a more feathery, natural finish.

Next tip: For even more defined lips, use a small amount of concealer on a flat brush to clean up the area around the lips.

Last tip: To make any lip product matte, put tissue paper over your lips, take a powder brush, and apply powder over the tissue paper. Lift up to reveal a velvety matte finish! 

Now that I’ve imparted the wisdom of the beauty gods upon you, go out there and wear that lipstick! 

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.comor come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

Claire Biggerstaff is a senior at Davidson College where she's pursuing a major in English. Since her sophomore year, she's been heavily involved with Her Campus and has written for her school's chapter, interned with Her Campus Media, and eventually became the Editor in Chief of her home chapter. Her work as also appeared on publications like Babe.net and The Odyssey. When she's not researching news stories or holding editing workshops with her writers, you can find her enjoying an episode of The X-Files and thinking about how much she loves autumn.