A Wickedly Good Meal: Review of Commons Wizard of Oz Meal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Traipsing through the cold down to Commons, it was just any other day. And then I got there. I felt like I had left my dull, finals world and entered a world of magic and color! Everything was decorated, people were in costume, and there were new, fun kinds of food. It had to be Oz. In honor of those who missed out on this fabulous Wizard of Oz themed meal, I offer a review.

Food:

The food was all Wizard of Oz themed. It started in Kansas with some good southern cooked meatloaf, garlic potatoes, fried green beans, and fried okra. Moving to Munchkinland, Dujour featured tiny, bited-sized snacks. Pizza, sandwich, and grill were themed after the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion respectively. It was a ball. Not to mention the stellar desserts. Who can resist cupcakes with little rainbows on top of them? Not this girl.

Decorations:

Entering Commons, guests were greeted by a replica of the house that fell on the Wicked Witch of the East and the twister that dropped it. As you got down the steps, you first encounter the yellow brick road (painted onto the floor), which you follow throughout your Commons journey. The baskets of apples were conveniently placed beside two columns dressed up as the rude trees that Dorothy and Scarecrow bump into. The walls featured a bright rainbow and also the Wicked Witch’s warning to the folks of Oz to “Surrender Dorothy.”

Costumes:

Everyone went all out, from the Wicked Witch serving up punch, to Glinda dishing up dujour, with a scarecrow, a tin man, a lion, and even a flying monkey! To top it off, you got to receive your choice or brains, heart, or courage from Eduardo, playing the Wizard of Oz himself. Each gift corresponded to a fun snack: a pirouline for brains, a heart-shaped lollipop for heart, and a cookie medal for courage. Even those not in costume all had matching t-shirts, it was precious.

It just goes to show: There’s no place like Commons!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

Emi Moore

Davidson

Just an English nerd drowning in words. English major with a Film and Media Studies minor. Aspiring to write many novels, films, television shows, and video games. Avid reviewer of movies, theatrical productions, videogames and pretty much anything you can possibly review.