Too Close for Comfort: How Davidson Matched Me to an Unknown Family Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Let me set the scene: It’s the week after the 4th of July, I’m in my mom’s car, roommate emails had just been released. Several seconds after reading the name of my roommate, I was already on Instagram to find out who the Myers-Briggs Test matched me with. I saw Grady High School on her Instagram and I knew that my roommate was from Atlanta as well. Fast forward a week, I’m telling my dad my roommate’s name is Robi Roberts and he tells me that he’s been trying to get me to meet her for the past few months. He grew up with her dad.

It turned out that besides my dad, my aunt, my cousins, my brother, my grandparents, and my godmother all knew my roommate’s family. Our brothers are in the same year at Morehouse College and our sisters are also in the same year at Spelman College.  ​

Our interaction over the summer was limited to a few vague texts about who was bringing what. Ironically, our dads communicated more than we did. I was skeptical about whether this pairing would be successful.

Move in day: This is me, painfully awkward with a touch (or maybe a lot) of social awkwardness.

I thought my roommate was the same way. How was this going to work out? It turned out that my roommate is actually crazy (in a good way). Once she gets to know you, she is sassy, aggressive, and not afraid to say what’s on her mind.

After we got past my awkwardness, we clicked and became inseparable.

So thanks Davidson for performing some sort of wizardry and finding the devil to my angel.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8 p.m. in the Morcott Room.

Robi is a Freshman at Davidson. She loves dogs, crazy socks and spicy food.