Reasons to Go to Artist Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

The ‘ugh’s of life don’t get enough love. But let’s give it up for the ‘ughs’ of flyers in the mailbox, the ‘ugh’ of trying to look through all the posters on the walls for something you’d be interested in, the ‘ugh’ when the day of the event comes but…the pull…of homework…is so strong. Or Netflix. But mostly homework. At least, so you tell yourself.

The Arts at Davidson has been facing the big ‘ugh’ of trying to figure out the conundrum of why it’s so hard to get students to go to Arts things at a Liberal Arts college. But Shakespeare himself said “What’s in a name?” and Oscar Wilde said “Art is dead.” so this may be the beginning of an end. The downward descent of humanity, where that downward dog yoga pose suddenly becomes a metaphor that’s all too real.

…Or not.

So here are reasons to go to Artist Series instead of doing homework.

1. You can procrastinate on doing homework.

2. Swap the guilt of napping with the pride of being a patron of the arts.

3. You can make some progress on that friendship crush and show them how cool and cultured you are.

4. You can make some progress on that not so platonic crush and show them how cool and cultured you are. Who needs Netflix and chill when you have comedy and dance and theater?

5. You are getting stir crazy Davidson but don’t have a car. Can’t leave the physical space, but that mental space…

6. You’re sick of the same old work-sleep-party conversation topics and need to spice it up.

7. You’re a fan of that maroon seat cushion. Yaas plush.

8. You can make friends with members of the community! Real adults and real children!

9. BECAUSE IT’S LIVE ARTISTS. AND LIVE ART. AND A MEMORY YOU MAKE THERE, YOU MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO MAKE IN ANOTHER SPACE OR TIME.

10. Because Art is legacy. “Legacy. What is a legacy? It’s planting seeds in a garden you never get to see.” You get to see this garden…that Alexander Hamilton didn’t. *actual tears* Take the chance.

The Artist Series showcase includes:

The Second City Presents: Free Speech (While Supplies Last): Saturday, Sept.24 at 8 pm

Harlem Gospel Choir: Friday, Nov. 4 at 8 pm

Ballet Hispanico: Saturday, Nov.12 at 8 pm

Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santana Presents: Poema de Andalucía: Tuesday, Jan.31 at 8 pm

Aquila Theatre in William Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing: Wednesday, Mar 1. at 8 pm

See this link for more details:

Buy tickets online or at the Union Ticket Office. Individual tickets are $10 per show, Season tickets are $25.

[url=htpp//:786travel.com.au] travelers[/url]