The Period Product Problem: An Open Letter to Davidson College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Hi Kids,

My name is Katie and I menstruate. Does the word menstruate make you want to vomit? Well, it shouldn’t, because guess what? The fact that women bleed out of their vaginas every month is about as natural as college students fornicating like rabbits on energy drinks and Adderall.

Unfortunately, few people in society like to admit this, which leads to a blatant lack of accommodation for women kind and their blood-related basic necessities.

It’s half the reason women carry around purses. It isn’t because it’s a fashion statement, it’s actually a damned necessity when you have to carry around enough period products for you and the girl in the bathroom who just got her period mid-class-change.

There are more condoms on campus than there are people. But, I can assure you that there are not enough period pad and tampon dispensers to accommodate the half of the population that is bleeding profusely from their hoo-has at any one time.

All I’m saying is that there should at the very least be some free tampons in the public bathrooms on campus. At least enough to accommodate girls who have emergencies when they’re away from their own supplies of feminine products.

Betty Mills sells tampons and feminine products at around 30 dollars for a box of 100 tampons. It doesn’t seem as if Davidson is wanting so greatly in funding that they can’t make at least a few bathrooms on campus feminine-need friendly.

That being said there are certain places on campus where free tampons and pads are available. This includes the health center and the multicultural house, but as of yet, these are the only ones our HerCampus team has yet to find. However, there are even more places on campus where you can find condoms. Don’t get me wrong, lots of free condoms = lots of safe sex, but it still irks me, because if we can have condoms coming out of the wazoo on campus, shouldn’t we be able to accomodate the other natural functions of college women? 

All I pose to the school is this: why is that we can collectively recognize that it’s completely natural for people to bang (I’ll never forget when the student health advisors whipped out a dildo and showed my residence hall how to put on a condom), but can’t seem to acknowledge or accomadate the women on campus that menstruate monthly?

Just a thought.

Yours,

Katie